Rear light staying on with key out of ignition 2007 BMW r1200gs adventurer

Johnf650gs

Reaction score
As title states my rear tail light is staying on when bike bike is shut down and key removed, has this happened to anyone else absolutely baffled by this, thanks John

Has anything been done to the bike lately?

You can put parking light front and rear on by pressing and holding LH turn signal just after turning ignition off. You could try this to see it operating, then turn on ignition and parking lights should go off. See if this works?

Is it the tail light and not rear stop light that is staying on?

I will check in the morning but I believe it is the tail light as it gets brighter when the brake is applied, thanks for taking the time to reply

had this happen to me. As has been eluded to the fault could well be the indicator switch, are you having issues with that coming on by itself? Leaving the bike in the works car park I'd sneak out and have to remove the taillight lamp.

Thanks for your reply, l think it Could be something like that, however the bike is going in to the dealer in the morning I will update the thread when I get back

Update After a thorough inspection the technician at my local BMW dealer has sorted the issue out. Turns out previous work done on bike prior to my ownership was shoddy, part of the wiring harness had been cut and the wires were left bare and watching, all sorted hopefully getting bike back soon.

Update After a thorough inspection the technician at my local BMW dealer has sorted the issue out. Turns out previous work done on bike prior to my ownership was shoddy, part of the wiring harness had been cut and the wires were left bare and were shorting out, all sorted hopefully getting bike back soon.

Back
Top Bottom