Yet another "new laptop, what to buy" thread

Sorted thks!!
FWIW, I ploughed thru a few sites and short listed 5 laptops for my lad. I wrote a few pointers (some cut n pasted from here) I popped the 5 laptops into a word.docx inc brief description followed by the links, but hey presto links do not appear to work. Only thing I can think of is that I reduced the font size of the links, eg:
Lenovo IdeaPad S145-14IWL 14", i5, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD, Batt 5.5h, Windows 10S
(HDMI, USB2 & USB3.1, SD, wt=1.6kg) ao £429 maybe coupon for £30off ie ao £399?

https://ao.com/product/81mu00suuk-l...1110&WT.z_AG=Blogger&WT.z_AT=&WT.z_KW=viglink

There appears to be a school of thought that you can switch one way from Windows 10 S to normal Windows 10 Home 64bit ONCE ONLY FOR FREE, hmmm! Also Wessie kindly pointed out that S mode can be disabled.

I costed parts for a repair / upgrade of his existing laptop by looking at Crucial and MrMemory. The latter website was very impressive clearly explaining what you need and how to fit it using videos etc.

Anyway, if anyone has any thoughts how I can get my 'links' working again (without ploughing back thru the AO, Lenovo and Curry websites pls let me know!

Try clicking on the link while holding down CTRL key.

Not sure how resolution/HD relates - but I reckon those are good specs for a Lenovo. Battery life isn't tremendous, but doubt any at that price range is any better.

Well that is interesting. I cut n pasted one laptop description plus its 'link' to the suppliers website into here (ukgser) and the link has been auto reconfigured! In fact they work if i cut n paste the links directly into an email so i guess problem solved but **** knows why they don't work in Word.docx. Thanks for all your help chaps, and yes the laptop example ie IdeaPad S145-14IWL 14", i5, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD, Batt 5.5h looks best value at £399 IF the crappy Windows 10 S can be sorted easily.:mad:

Bloody thread hijackers :D

Just a quick note that the one you've selected in 14" not 15.6" although it has a larger SSD at 512GB. As Wessie said you can make a one-time move from W10 S to proper W10. Also the one I noted was full HD resolution screen.

I had a quick look at US sites and the prices do not seem much lower so not worth the hassle of buying over there (I know someone who could bring one back for me).

A

Well i've compiled all the above into a summary and sent it to the kids. They are trying hard with their study stuff so I felt obliged to play the good parent. One thing has struck me is the vast choice out there and how difficult it can be to get to find out the relevant info ~ so well done this site, great support as ever. Apols if there has been a thread hijack (andysdad) but TBH there was a useful overlap:augie

So did anybody actually buy a laptop and a get bargain in the end? Am still waiting to hear back from my laddo...nothing new there then!

Lap top

Yes I did,had been looking for ages, I was totally bamboozaled with what to buy so just took Blackal,s advice and bought the £399 one he recommended.
Delivered last night and the wife’s surfing as we speak.
So if you want a laptop speak to the guys that are in the know and if you want to know about roofs ask me. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom