Cluster of clutch failures on KTM 790 Adventure

Thanks for that postTim.....just been looking at a 790 today.....nearly got one but decided to sleep on it....... think it will be an 850 gsa now......don’t want a new bike and then start ripping it apart to check fekkin clutch.....give you a tenner for yours tho :D

Thanks for that postTim.....just been looking at a 790 today.....nearly got one but decided to sleep on it....... think it will be an 850 gsa now......don’t want a new bike and then start ripping it apart to check fekkin clutch.....give you a tenner for yours tho :D

There you go. Deprived yourself of a great bike because of an internet scare. It's easy to be panicked but you need to find a sense of perspective.

Have a look at 790adventure.net. Six clutch failures. One which may have been oil jet blockage - five being put down to abuse or incorrect cable adjustment.

If you think the 850 GS Adv will be any better, reliability wise ?

There you go. Deprived yourself of a great bike because of an internet scare. It's easy to be panicked but you need to find a sense of perspective....

Absolutely correct. There have been thousands sold.

Absolutely correct. There have been thousands sold.

I'm a massive fan. But KTM need to wake up here. You can't push clutch failures back at customers, period. If it fails twice.... That's different.

If you burn out clutch plates because the cable is too tight, then expect a bill. But when it disintegrates? Really? wouldn't hesitate to go legal with that scenario.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So as the 790 Duke has been around a while is the same clutch issue revealed on that bike?

Not to my knowledge.

As Tim (? .. somebody) said earlier, the clutch on your average road bike isn't going to get anything like the abuse compared to an off road bike. (And to boot, the Duke has a very good quick shifter that means even less clutch use still .... ).

:thumb2

Have a look at 790adventure.net. Six clutch failures. One which may have been oil jet blockage - five being put down to abuse or incorrect cable adjustment.

Characterising all but one of the failures as misuse or faulty cable adjustment is clearly inaccurate, you only have to read the first two cases to realise this. And then in the third case the guy replaced his clutch and the replacement started slipping. And then Yevhen Karel's clutch catastrophically failed at 2200km yet he has used his BMW 1200GS in similar conditions for 20,000 km without clutch problems, so it's hard to put that clutch failure at his door.

Judging from the low activity level of the KTM UK forum I'd suggest only a small percentage of KTM owners are active on FB and forums.

However no news of additional failures for the last week—time will tell if these failures are just a cluster or the start of something larger.

From the comments on Facebook it seems KTM has lost a few potential bike sales over their attitude. In retrospect they may wish they had stood by their product.

But BMW have a reputation for looking after their customers when/if things go wrong and they now do it for three years, whereas KTM :augie

I imagine KTM will, kicking and screaming, have to follow suit at some time.......

I know that KTM don't, anecdotally, seem to have the same rep as BMW when it comes to warranty/goodwill but, having owned a BMW from new, for ten years and now a KTM from new for five years my own actual experience is that both bikes needed work under warranty and both bikes were subject to recall/s.
I experienced nothing but good, professional, service form both marques and have no complaints with either manufacturer.

Then, there is of course, the fact that BMW are far more used to having to deal with warranty claims :augie

Andres

I imagine KTM will, kicking and screaming, have to follow suit at some time.......

I know that KTM don't, anecdotally, seem to have the same rep as BMW when it comes to warranty/goodwill but, having owned a BMW from new, for ten years and now a KTM from new for five years my own actual experience is that both bikes needed work under warranty and both bikes were subject to recall/s.
I experienced nothing but good, professional, service form both marques and have no complaints with either manufacturer.

Then, there is of course, the fact that BMW are far more used to having to deal with warranty claims :augie

Andres
Almost my exact same experience, 10+5.

And yes BMW do fall over themselves to sort problems, but there seem to be more of them.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom