Cluster of clutch failures on KTM 790 Adventure

Have you ever tried calling KTM's UK based Customer Service Dept ?

Yes I have. Exemplary service.

No problems with my bike but I was looking for a dealer in Tierra Del Fuego to change my oil for me to keep my warranty alive in case I needed it.

I was told that it was fine for me to change the oil and filter myself. Warranty wouldn't be an issue as KTM understood that riders in my position couldn't always find a dealer close by. First dealer I used was in Chillan in Chile.

Never needed a warranty claim.

Yes I have. Exemplary service.

No problems with my bike but I was looking for a dealer in Tierra Del Fuego to change my oil for me to keep my warranty alive in case I needed it.

I was told that it was fine for me to change the oil and filter myself. Warranty wouldn't be an issue as KTM understood that riders in my position couldn't always find a dealer close by. First dealer I used was in Chillan in Chile.

Never needed a warranty claim.
That's good to know!

I had similar on a GSA in 2007 in Punta Arenas (close to Tierra del Fuego) in that my final drive was failing. First off they told me to take it to nearest dealer, but that was 1900 miles behind me in Santiago!

They then did offer to send me a me a new final drive under warranty (though I did have a tech contact at BMW). But I just managed to limp the final 2000 miles to Buenos Aires. Took the ABS sensor out every night to remove the collection of metal filings and stuck to max 50 mph.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I'm not deliberately searching for more failures but here's another than I stumbled over...

justinope on AdvRider says his dealer reported the wrong size oil lubrication jet had been fitted, 0.25 vs 0.3, see https://advrider.com/f/threads/790-...y-12k-mile-examination.1416033/#post-38780439

He then states KTM refused to acknowledge responsibility and is left with a $700-$1000 repair bill on his 4,000 mile bike, see https://advrider.com/f/threads/790-...y-12k-mile-examination.1416033/#post-38799888

That's good to know!

I had similar on a GSA in 2007 in Punta Arenas (close to Tierra del Fuego) in that my final drive was failing. First off they told me to take it to nearest dealer, but that was 1900 miles behind me in Santiago!

They then did offer to send me a me a new final drive under warranty (though I did have a tech contact at BMW). But I just managed to limp the final 2000 miles to Buenos Aires. Took the ABS sensor out every night to remove the collection of metal filings and stuck to max 50 mph.

Good service there too.

I believe that some of this is down to attitude ..... human nature being what it is.

Just ask a policeman about it.

My oil jet has “30” etched onto it. Presumably a ref to its size...0.3? Shall we all drill them out to 0.35 or 0.4 just for the crack like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone know which way this unscrews? It won’t budge!
IMG_3458.jpg

Anyone know which way this unscrews? It won’t budge!
View attachment 432472

The jet? It's normal, anti-clockwise.

Mine was VERY tight, had me checking it wasn't LH! Too much threadlocker. I chickened out at the first attempt.... Get a very tight-fitting and good flat screwdriver bit.

I think a heat gun helped mine. I put the tiniest drop of blue Loctite on when I replaced it, came out nicely the next time.

Mine was VERY tight, had me checking it wasn't LH! Too much threadlocker. I chickened out at the first attempt.... Get a very tight-fitting and good flat screwdriver bit.

I think a heat gun helped mine. I put the tiniest drop of blue Loctite on when I replaced it, came out nicely the next time.

Same here. I used an impact drill. Buy a new one before you start - not expensive.

Yeah, I custom ground an old screwdriver. Still span out!

Impact driver is an interesting thought. It’ll either come out or its in there permanently once you’ve knackered it

Impact driver is an interesting thought. It’ll either come out or its in there permanently once you’ve knackered it

Tightening torque is 5nm with Loctite 247 (from the manual)

Bit of a combination for me - I ground a bit from an impact driver, which had a 8mm hex drive - then used a 8mm socket and T-bar on it.

Bear in mind an impact driver and impact drill/driver (which carpenters use a lot now) are totally different animals!

What have you guys found behind? I had a few small metal filings and bit of blue sealant/Loctite debris.

Think it was starting to block, 6000 miles on clock but it had never been cleaned. Very glad I did it.

A bristle from a stainless wire brush was best thing I found to clear it.

What have you guys found behind? I had a few small metal filings and bit of blue sealant/Loctite debris.

Think it was starting to block, 6000 miles on clock but it had never been cleaned. Very glad I did it.

A bristle from a stainless wire brush was best thing I found to clear it.

Mine was clear - but I renewed it anyway.

Bought an impact driver from Machine Mart. £17. Should’ve bought one 30 years ago really. Put bike in gear. A few taps and out she came. No way would it have come out just using a normal screwdriver!

I’ve got an engineer I know measuring the hole and then drilling it out +10-15% (left him to decide as he out qualifies me:).

Adjustments.jpgAdjustments.jpgIMG_3623.jpg

Back
Top Bottom