Cluster of clutch failures on KTM 790 Adventure

Oh! Not worth paying to get it drilled if they do other sizes??

I don't know if other sizes are available. I just replaced it with a new one. I don't want to change anything yet in case of warranty issues and there doesn't seem to be any evidence that KTM got their sums wrong. I treat it as a service item - may as well as they're cheap enough.

So... Clutch back in finally. Jet drilled out to 0.38mm from 0.3mm. Needs a proper off-road session but feels buttery smooth.

Fitted a Camel 1 finger clutch at the same time. See below. Wow! Not that the clutch was especially heavy but I did start to get tired fingers/wrist if off-road for ages. The clutch is amazing now.

One of those "don't wait....just get one" products. Well done that man!

Adjustments.jpgAdjustments.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update:

On and off-road today. Clutch remains really smooth. Finding neutral seems easier than I remember but the weather isn't hot. I'll reserve judgement on the drilling out of the jet to 0.38mm until it's warmer, but for now it seems superb.

The main event is the Camel 1 finger above. IT'S AWESOME! Truly one finger clutch pull with ease which means 3 fingers (and a thumb) on the grip instead of 2 when off-road. Get one...you'll thank me. Well, you might not, but that'll be your issues to deal with and not mine :D

Update:

On and off-road today. Clutch remains really smooth. Finding neutral seems easier than I remember but the weather isn't hot. I'll reserve judgement on the drilling out of the jet to 0.38mm until it's warmer, but for now it seems superb.

The main event is the Camel 1 finger above. IT'S AWESOME! Truly one finger clutch pull with ease which means 3 fingers (and a thumb) on the grip instead of 2 when off-road. Get one...you'll thank me. Well, you might not, but that'll be your issues to deal with and not mine :D

I have one - I concur :)

Another update:

There was a guy broken down on his thumping great Harley by the side of the road. So I popped out of the woods and offered assistance. Went and acquired some jump leads from a house nearby. The bike would start and run on idle but as soon as you gave it some throttle it died. He'd run out of fuel and his wife had brought some more but it wouldn't run. Suddenly £50 for breakdown cover seems very cheap!

I had a nylon rope, so we tied it between his bar risers (I know...I know, but it was the best place for the rider in this instance) and to either side of the rear sub-frame of the 790 and I towed him half a mile to the nearest farm where it's tucked away for the night. Lucky bloke I reckon!

Anyway, reason for mentioning it is that I thought the 790 might struggle to pull the Harley(plus chunky rider) as it was nose uphill - NOPE! It pulled it really easily, like... really.

Irony is that he was on his way back from AMS where he'd been looking at a new 701. Had the brochures in his jacket. Made me laugh. I don't think they put sand in his tank to get a sale but you never know :augie

<iframe width="966" height="543" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WcEvVqkuZ4E" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Update:

You won't feel the difference with 0.50mm :)

A reliable source (friend of NZ KTM dealer) tells me Chris Birch's is drilled to 0.70mm.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I wouldn't recommend 0.7mm myself. 0.38 is 80% more flow I'm told. I haven't done the calcs though. I think that much greater flow should help it not to block for sure and look after the plates better, at least with my riding.

Where did you have this done? it sounds very precise.

An old school engineer I know. Best let him do it as trying to hold a drill that small is quite hard. He put it in one of his lathes. £5.

I’d be worried drilling the hole myself because the hole in the centre is easy but the cross hole could be a bit of an issue and I’d be measuring the waisted section and working out the cross section of what remained after doing the through hole and the cross hole.

I’d like to believe KTM engineers will have calculated the optimal size for flow and mechanical integrity so buying one from them would give me some come back if things went wrong at a later date.

I’d be worried drilling the hole myself because the hole in the centre is easy but the cross hole could be a bit of an issue and I’d be measuring the waisted section and working out the cross section of what remained after doing the through hole and the cross hole.

I’d like to believe KTM engineers will have calculated the optimal size for flow and mechanical integrity so buying one from them would give me some come back if things went wrong at a later date.

No need to drill out the cross hole. There's obviously two holes and they're plenty big enough.

Back
Top Bottom