Nav5 or Nav6

(RIP) Spangle

Reaction score
I’ve been using my (mostly) trusty 660 for 10 years now (two units actually, after my first leapt from its bracket & got squished by a lorry somewhere in France) and am thinking of ‘moving with the times’ & ‘upgrading’.

I like the simplicity of the Zumo660, I’m not interested in listening to music, connecting to my mobile or most other additional stuff. I just want to be able to create & upload my own routes easily and the unit to convert them just as they’d been created. Being able to upload routes by Bluetooth from mobile devices and other GPS units would be a bonus.

I’ve read comments from some of the crack GPS bods on here regarding the pros & cons of the Nav5 & Nav6. Usually I’d automatically opt for the latest model - can anybody tell me what, if any, benefits there of a 5 over a 6?

If somebody has already asked this question please point me in the direction of the thread, I have looked but can’t find one!

Thanks in advance...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 has better screen and windy roads.............but day to day, Id say a 5 is perfectly good for 99.9 pc the time.

Ive done a side by side route race as it were and no difference so the 6 isn't any quicker at working stuff out.

If budget is unlimited, go 6, if not go 5 Id say

The 6 has a faster processor, so it is quicker to calculate. It has more internal memory, so you can load the maps without the need for an sd card. The screen is a lot better in sunlight. The date will not be stuck in March 2000, although this will eventually get sorted. All in all I sold my 5 to buy a 6 and I am still pleased with the upgrade. But I could have managed with the 5 or the 660 I had before. Last point, there is a thread somewhere, but apparently the 5 is no longer supported by Garmin

Nav 6 all day long. I’ve had both ,still got the 6. Larger screen and memory than the 5. Go for it

The screen sizes on the VI and the V are identical, though the cases are slightly different. The VI’s internal memory is indeed larger, negating the need - up until now, at least - for an SD card to carry the full European map set.

Both devices work very well, though the V is currently unsure what the day, month and year are *. Will the VI suffer the same affliction at some future satellite time shift update? Who can tell?

* A quality they maybe share with some of their owners.

Thanks for all input. Given that you’ve collectively pushed me towards the more expensive 6, how do you feel about contributing a few quid towards it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

just bought a nav 6 myself to replace the 5
i was pondering for a while before doing it
got a gd price on the 6 from on here from bengs

Back
Top Bottom