Anti theft `patch` or `liner` for the alarm and/or tracker

Mark Hooton

Cymarcbikeparts
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Guys/Gals, a fellow GSER has mentioned about a recent issue where, seemingly, the OEM alarm and/or tracker can be `ripped` out from the bike.

It was suggested that I might be able to `armour` it? If I understand it correctly the lowlife `punch up` through or destruct the mudguard to access the alarm?

Sadly I don`t have either (alarm and/or tracker) so I`m kinda in the dark here. If anyone can help with images, options, suggestions etc to help me design something (if I can) then I`d be pleased to hear from you :thumby:

I have a 2019 R1250GS and a 2014 R1200GSA to fiddle about with!

As the abhorrent idea of `people` (euphanism if I ever saw one) taking stuff we all work hard for with near impunity or with little chance of justice makes me so bloody angry anything I do come up with would be made commercially available but `at cost` - I have no intention (nor do I have to) of profiting from safeguarding our bikes but every intention to slow the lowlife down for us all.

PM me or post something eh, alternatively cymarcbikeparts@gmail.com is good.

For anyone who is unaware of my metal strangling capabilities please take a look at the website and you`ll get an idea of what I can make!

www.cymarcbikeparts.co.uk

Not sure the value of this but I was told by a dealer the factory fitted alarm can never be removed but the dealer fit alarm can as on one of my bikes I couldn't transfer the alarm over, because it was factory fitted, but on a stock bike without an alarm I could have one installed by the dealer (still a BMW alarm) and that was able to be moved at the end of the PCP to a different bike.

I think the guard is more for stopping the scroates gaining access to the seat lock, thereby allowing them access to the under seat area when seat is removed.

I think the guard is more for stopping the scroates gaining access to the seat lock, thereby allowing them access to the under seat area when seat is removed.

Ah, I see. So the lock itself needs to be protected? Mmmmmm

Can’t think of anything off the top of my head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suspect you were correct with the first description about gaining access from the mudguard. To get at the alarm from above you need to remove the grab rails and top box mount - 8 loctited screws, so it's a real pain from above.

I suspect you were correct with the first description about gaining access from the mudguard. To get at the alarm from above you need to remove the grab rails and top box mount - 8 loctited screws, so it's a real pain from above.

Ok thanks for that

Ah, I see. So the lock itself needs to be protected? Mmmmmm

Can’t think of anything off the top of my head.

Yes the lock needs protecting from attack from the rear via the plastic mudguard. They smash their way in from underneath and activate the lock mechanism from underneath just by pulling the cable or lever. If that makes sense.

Yes the lock needs protecting from attack from the rear via the plastic mudguard. They smash their way in from underneath and activate the lock mechanism from underneath just by pulling the cable or lever. If that makes sense.

Ah so now I’m starting to understand, they smash their way in - not to get directly to the alarm etc but simply to be able to release the seat to allow access from the top.

So, back to armouring the underneath of the mudguard then? Does anyone know where the ORM alarm would fit? I think it sits in the area where the tyre pressure module is bit I’m not sure?

But you still can't get to the alarm by removing the seat. The other stuff posted earlier still needs removing, unless you're going to rip it out from the mudguard

Ah so now I’m starting to understand, they smash their way in - not to get directly to the alarm etc but simply to be able to release the seat to allow access from the top.

So, back to armouring the underneath of the mudguard then? Does anyone know where the ORM alarm would fit? I think it sits in the area where the tyre pressure module is bit I’m not sure?

It is right at the back, just ahead of the light.

First paragraph is correct Mark. As for the alarm i don’t know where its positioned. The idea isn’t to protect the alarm but the seat lock from underneath.

First paragraph is correct Mark. As for the alarm i don’t know where its positioned. The idea isn’t to protect the alarm but the seat lock from underneath.

Ok, so armouring needs to be positioned towards the rear of the wheel arch then!

Apols if it’s painful for all kind replies- I just need to get a good idea of wheat I need to look at

Ok, so armouring needs to be positioned towards the rear of the wheel arch then!

Apols if it’s painful for all kind replies- I just need to get a good idea of wheat I need to look at

If you look where the seat lock is Mark, it needs to be guarded directly below the lock and probably a few inches either side of the lock and far enough inwards to stop anyone reaching the back of the lock by punching up through the plastic guard underneath. If that makes sense

If you look where the seat lock is Mark, it needs to be guarded directly below the lock and probably a few inches either side of the lock and far enough inwards to stop anyone reaching the back of the lock by punching up through the plastic guard underneath. If that makes sense

So the armouring definitely needs to be where arrowed under the wheel.
e96673dc288ce16dfb8414e62551d34c.jpg
Just to be sure!

So the armouring definitely needs to be where arrowed under the wheel.
e96673dc288ce16dfb8414e62551d34c.jpg
Just to be sure!

If that is directly below the lock then yes, and out to either side and into the middle. Not sure how you can do it because if its taken to far into the middle any guard you fit could be bent to allow access. It would need to be pretty thick stuff to stop it being bent or it needs to be fixed in the middle somehow

The alarm is sat in the very backside of the bike. It sits horizontally about 1" parallel to the rear light. There are specific mounting points moulded into the wheel arch liner.
To access it you need to remove - Seat, pannier mounting hardware (if fitted), 6 bolts and spacers securing the silver plastic seat surround grab rail and topbox mounting plate. The silver bodywork incorporating the seat lock then lifts off.
I believe you can also access from underneath by removing the number plate mounting bracket and some of the screws from the wheelarch lining and pulling downwards.
On the attached picture the alarm fits where the Autocom is sited. Issue would be no access to make adjustments on the Autocom and if an alarm was fitted then another place for the Autocom would have to be found.
I,m not seeing it on the picture but there should be a plastic screen between the TPS module and the Autocom. In any event with all the bodywork back on access is limited.

Attachments

• IMG_2465-1.jpg
    IMG_2465-1.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 396
  • Alarm Fitment.jpg
    Alarm Fitment.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 374
Does anyone think that these “scrotes” who steal bikes may look on this forum for info and you have just told them where to find the alarm and how to attack it ??

Does anyone think that these “scrotes” who steal bikes may look on this forum for info and you have just told them where to find the alarm and how to attack it ??

There’s nothing wrong with a healthy dose of paranoia but IMHO the chances of some scrote following threads on a forum to note security threads on specific bikes are pretty slim - I suspect they are too busy just stealing stuff, bless ‘em.

Back
Top Bottom