Fork seals

Dugster

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hello folks,
a heads up to anyone with leaking fork seals ion the k25's. I purchased a set of seals with scrapers/ oil from a well known Yorkshire based company. They failed almost immediately, initially I thought it must be a fitting error and redid the job. Same result. I then enquired as to the source of the parts , and was told they are pattern, not O.E. , and they could not supply the genuine parts. No mention of a refund.

Any way I then ordered the parts from motorrad and waited for stock delivery. Curious about the pattern parts I measured them and compared the genuine ones, no wonder they leaked, the pattern ones were 0.71mm larger than the Marzocchi ones. Since fitting the correct parts I now have no oil outside the forks.

I wondered if anyone else had similar problems with spurious parts?

Hello
Just out of interest, did you use your bike's VIN number when ordering the seals and did you tell them the replacements were leaking too? I've always had really good service from them.

I'm going to be ordering seals soon so thanks for the heads up and sorry you've had to FORK out for duff ones. :thumb2

Motorworks business is to offer almost all parts for the bike but with the following distinction: on parts where they cannot get pattern items, they stock BMW parts and make little margin; where they can get pattern parts they mostly only sell those and they make money on this side of the business. It can be hard to tell sometimes, but my experience with gearbox gaiter was the same - pattern one from motorworks died within a year and the BMW one i had to fit when doing the same job for a second time is still going strong a few years later. There are many pattern parts that are fine though, so not knocking them - it is a really good website. Just stating the facts

Hello
Just out of interest, did you use your bike's VIN number when ordering the seals and did you tell them the replacements were leaking too? I've always had really good service from them.

I'm going to be ordering seals soon so thanks for the heads up and sorry you've had to FORK out for duff ones. :thumb2

Hello mac one, no vin, just reg as asked. I am not knocking the supplier, I was just curious if anyone had similar tales of woe, from any supplier.

Hello folks,
a heads up to anyone with leaking fork seals ion the k25's. I purchased a set of seals with scrapers/ oil from a well known Yorkshire based company. They failed almost immediately, initially I thought it must be a fitting error and redid the job. Same result. I then enquired as to the source of the parts , and was told they are pattern, not O.E. , and they could not supply the genuine parts. No mention of a refund.

Any way I then ordered the parts from motorrad and waited for stock delivery. Curious about the pattern parts I measured them and compared the genuine ones, no wonder they leaked, the pattern ones were 0.71mm larger than the Marzocchi ones. Since fitting the correct parts I now have no oil outside the forks.

I wondered if anyone else had similar problems with spurious parts?

Thanks for posting. Same experience as you. About to order my third set, will go direct to BMW.

A mate of mine had same problem with his 1150 adv. When he spoke to the supplier, they admitted there were problems with them, but they don't tell you that when ordering them.

Had problems with the front shaft drive gaiter which only lasted a year and broke the second time I tried to fit and a counter balance seal failed at the 12 month point which could have cost me a new clutch plate but luckily I had the bike in half and I noticed it. The old seal went in very easily only needing the pressure of my thumbs (should have known at that point!) but the oe one needed a socket and a tap from a hammer to seat it properly.
Will now only use them for any second hand parts that I might need. Lesson learned.

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

Thanks for posting. Same experience as you. About to order my third set, will go direct to BMW.

Got the BMW seals part number 31 42 7 666 225. Fitted them, I've done about 300 miles on the OEM BMW seals. No leaking. So thanks again Dugster for sharing the info.

I spoke to the supplier (Stuart). He was very helpful, said he would refund me for the seals and they would look into it. Can't complain with that, mistakes happen. He suggested that possibly they have a faulty batch. Like Dugster I measured the faulty seals and they did appear to be something like 0.7 mm larger on the internal diameter. They were also harder to fit than the OEM seals, possibly due to being slightly too large.

Got the BMW seals part number 31 42 7 666 225. Fitted them, I've done about 300 miles on the OEM BMW seals. No leaking. So thanks again Dugster for sharing the info.

I spoke to the supplier (Stuart). He was very helpful, said he would refund me for the seals and they would look into it. Can't complain with that, mistakes happen. He suggested that possibly they have a faulty batch. Like Dugster I measured the faulty seals and they did appear to be something like 0.7 mm larger on the internal diameter. They were also harder to fit than the OEM seals, possibly due to being slightly too large.

Glad to be of service.

I missed this post first time around. Interestingly I have now had exactly the same experience. The give away was a regular supply of grubby, oil wiped stanchions, on both sides.

It hasn't really affected much, but after questioning myself and what I might have done wrong, I thought sod it, I'm going to buy a new set from BMW directly.

Thankfully it's not a difficult job.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Very easy to fit these seals upside down and have a bit of leakage - damhik! I removed and refitted t'other side oop and all was well.

Back
Top Bottom