Advice please BMW Nav 6, Garmin Express and Basecamp

S8DOW

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hello,

I have been planning trips for some years and use Garmin Express with Basecamp for the updates and mapping. Circa 2015 a friend warned me not to update the sat nav on any Apple product as he found that it wasn't compatible and the icon was permanently to the right of the road. The Garmin was constantly repeating, "drive to highlighted route".

At this time I had the Apple iMac and found this to be exactly true. I bought a Windows laptop and have planned routes on it since without any problems. The laptop is extremely slow so my question is to the Forum as follows.

I now have a Nav6 so are folk still finding issues with Apple software and finding Windows is the preferred way to use Garmin Express and Garmin Basecamp? I would like to upgrade the Laptop and would like some advice on which is the best way forward. I'm considering an Apple laptop to replace Windows laptop and an ageing iPad.

Thanks

Shaun

I now have a Nav6 so are folk still finding issues with Apple software

I have owned a Mac (desktop and laptop) and assorted Garmin devices (up to and including the Navigator VI) for years, well before 2015. I have created routes from scratch in BaseCamp and updating all software, never having a compatibility problem between the Apple computer, BaseCamp or any Garmin device.

After 2015, were the routes your mate made created in third party software outside of BaseCamp, then transferred into BaseCamp only as a medium to get them into your Garmin device? If so, that might account for the icon being offset from the road, perhaps? I presume that post 2015 the map sets on your Mac were identical with those on your Garmin device and any software updates had been installed properly?

As the forum is not full of post 2015, “My Mac, BaseCamp and Garmin aren’t playing nicely together anymore, I’m going to get a PC” type complaints (and as my Mac has always played nicely with BaseCamp and Garmin devices for as long as I can remember and probably longer) I can only assume you and your mate shared some kind of user error together, perhaps?

Back
Top Bottom