Alarm and Tracker advice

Tazz

Reaction score
Hi, all. I'm new here having just bought my shiny new 1250GS Adventure. Loving it! Looking for some advice on alarms and trackers. I'm currently thinking of the Automatrix MTrack tracker (I need a tracker that is supported internationally) - anyone got any feedback or other ideas? Also I am at a bit of a loss as to which alarm to fit/have fitted - again, any advice from you longer-term GSers? Thanks in advance.

Everyone's opinion will differ, but fitted a DataTool TrakKING Adventure tracker and think it's excellent. it's a Scorpion system. Alarm wise, just an audible disk lock, as I think immobilisation and tracking is a priority.

I have RoadLock too.

As above forget alarms as in general the volume is pathetic and if it goes wrong very often it immobilises your bike too, especially the BMW one which is about as much use as tits on a fish IMO. Fit a decent tracker but also do what you can to stop it getting nicked in the first place by being careful where you park it, never rely on just the steering lock alone and get a decent lock/chain/roadloc etc for the rear and lock it to something if possible. Put a disclock with an alarm on the front wheel and also if leaving it for any length of time fit a cover over it so the thieves can't see what security you have on it. Good luck!

Another vote here for the datatool adventure trakker. Got one on my ATAT and it's been excellent so far.

Not to disparage anyones opinion as riders will have differing views on kit but personally I dont see the point of a tracker because at the point its needed its already stolen and who wants a damaged bike back. Id prefer to purchase decent quality chains,locks ,ground anchors and strong storage/shed locks to discourage theft in the first place.

Not to disparage anyones opinion as riders will have differing views on kit but personally I dont see the point of a tracker because at the point its needed its already stolen and who wants a damaged bike back. Id prefer to purchase decent quality chains,locks ,ground anchors and strong storage/shed locks to discourage theft in the first place.

Never too much is the simple answer.

Not to disparage anyones opinion as riders will have differing views on kit but personally I dont see the point of a tracker because at the point its needed its already stolen and who wants a damaged bike back.

Depends on how much your insurance goes up - year after year...

Mine went up from £600 to £1,500 despite having protected no claims. It was chained to a ground anchor.

New one has a Biketrac...

Depends on how much your insurance goes up - year after year...

Mine went up from £600 to £1,500 despite having protected no claims. It was chained to a ground anchor.

New one has a Biketrac...

The protected no claims discount is the protection of the percentage discount applied to the premium, not of the premium itself.

Example:

Premium 100 discount 10% = 90

Renewal premium 500 discount 10% (protected discount remains fixed) = 450

Following your significant claims (two, was it?) your premium went up, though we can assume the percentage discount remained. Assuming that is you remained with the same insurer.

For some bods, the addition of a tracker is a basic minimum requirement for them to obtain insurance, irrespective of whether they want the bike found and recovered or not.

I had the Trakking fitted FOC by Honda when I bought the ATAS. Good system. I had a Biketrac fitted to my new KTM. I like this better as the location can be pinpointed by a handheld VHF receiver after the GPS and GSM have done their job.

Id have an Automatrix MTrack tracker on my next bike, the fact that they recover it for you is excellent.

The protected no claims discount is the protection of the percentage discount applied to the premium, not of the premium itself.

Example:

Premium 100 discount 10% = 90

Renewal premium 500 discount 10% (protected discount remains fixed) = 450

Following your significant claims (two, was it?) your premium went up, though we can assume the percentage discount remained. Assuming that is you remained with the same insurer.

One was a fault claim (theft) the other was a non fault claim to which my insurers have recovered their costs. The increase to £1500 was on my policy before I was punted off. I now have a 1250 and paying £2200. If my insurer hadn't recovered their costs the figure was £5500 as my no claims was reduced to 3 years - I know this because the insurance chimps didn't attempt to recover their costs until I complained about the loss of the majority of my no claims.

Fair play to AVIVA though as they sorted my complaint quickly (a number of issues) and gave me £200 compo for their errors.

BTW, I understand how the NCD works - I made the comment for the benefit of those who may think a protected no claims means that the policy won't be affected.

The hit is for 5 years, so to those that think you might not want your damaged bike back, you may want to think again. The theft claim will have (probably) cost me more than the insurer paid out.

W0W.... Expensive insurance...

I have 2 bikes on one policy fully comp less than £15 a month...

My GSLC was £78 per year fully comp too.

How much is everyone else's?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

I’m not a fan of alarms, no one takes any notice, trackers are good though.

If parked unattended, then I’d rather use three £50 disc locks than one £150 mega chain.
Increases the flaffing about factor for the would be thief.

Back
Top Bottom