Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: AUSTRALIA 2019/2020

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    A little town history and the town centre, great cakes in the Bush Bakehouse Cafe next door.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Rode back to Perth and handed the bike back before getting a lift to the station and heading back to town. Bike will be getting a service and new fuel pump and filters before I pick it up again. Left a lot of gear at the bike place as I am heading for Darwin for a few days. Drinks with friends in Perth and an early night ready for the flight tomorrow.

Got to Darwin and into town which is quite small and checked in. Hotel is 5 mins from the harbour but it is very humid. Walked to the harbour and to the Flying Doctor Museum which is well worth a visit. It has a really cool virtual reality film about the bombing of Darwin and good films about the Flying Doctor Service. Woman in the centre was very informative and I would recommend it.

Apparently Darwin was bombed more times than pearl harbour and a greater tonnage of bombs were dropped. Dinner in a restaurant on the harbour and drinks before retiring for the night.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Decided to walk to the Museum and Art Gallery of Northern Territory. Got quite humid so called in at Eva’s café in the Botanic Gardens for breakfast. The museum is a fascinating place with good exhibits. I had no idea that Cyclone Tracy devastated the city of Darwin from 24 to 26 December 1974.

The storm had been observed passing clear of the city initially, but then turned towards it early on 24 December. After 10:00 p.m. damage became severe and wind gusts reached 217 kilometers per hour (134.84 mph) before instruments failed. Residents of Darwin were celebrating Christmas at the time.

Tracy killed 71 people, caused A$837 million in damage (1974 dollars), or approximately A$6.85 billion (2018 dollars), or $4.79 billion 2018 USD. It destroyed more than 70 percent of Darwin's buildings, including 80 percent of houses. It left more than 25,000 out of the 47,000 inhabitants of the city homeless and required the evacuation of over 30,000 people.

The houses at that time were timber framed and quite flimsy, it was amazing to see the photographs of the devastation and read the accounts from people describing the sound of the wind and the corrugated tin sheets flying through the air at over 100 mph. Afterwards the city looked like Hiroshima.

After that it was a walk along the beach and back to town for a shower before heading out to a pub, turns out it was ladies night and once they heard the British accent I became quite popular. New one for me.

Dinner and many beers later I retired for the night as the next day I was flying back to Perth. The next morning was greeted with the same cock up by HSBC bank as in Perth, the bank had declined the security deposit for the bike. This after hours of phone calls and 2 ˝ weeks for them to sort it, apparently they had done sod all hoping the problem would just go away. Managed to work around it and headed to town for a final look around and food before heading to the airport. The plane was then delayed leaving due to thunderstorms. The route was via Kununurra and then to Perth where we observed some of the fires below. Late into Perth so food and beer then bed, bike again tomorrow.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234