Clutch

Bubb

Dogsbody
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Well, the clutch on my ST special has been getting progressively heavier to pull, so today I decided to find out why.

On pulling Off the actuating arm I found the bush at an angle as the bearing has disintegrated and rusty.
I managed to push the bush out, but have so far not managed to get the baring outer ring out.
I will leave it soaking overnight and try again in the morning.
New bush and bearing ordered from M’works, so should be able to fit them by the time they arrive.

Hopefully the clutch pull won’t need gorilla grip strength after it’s all back together.

Still love the old girl, even tho she needs lots of love n attention.

Ride safe y’all.

Bubb

I managed to push the bush out, but have so far not managed to get the baring outer ring out.
I will leave it soaking overnight and try again in the morning.

stick it in a pan of boiling water before you try to push it out ESPECIALLY if it is cold where you are working

DrF

Thanks.... i soaked it in some plus gas....and then managed to press it out with my vice using a couple of old sockets.

Now i just need to await the arrival of a new bearing and bush to arrive.

Bubb

Well, that was relatively easy.
New bearing and bush fitted. Thrust washer thingy re greased, and refitted with new rubber cover.....
And the clutch is less heavy than it was.

Not 1 finger light, but a better feel to the clutch. Worth the work, and only a few quid spent.

Bubb

Well, that was relatively easy.
New bearing and bush fitted. Thrust washer thingy re greased, and refitted with new rubber cover.....
And the clutch is less heavy than it was.

Not 1 finger light, but a better feel to the clutch. Worth the work, and only a few quid spent.

Bubb

Be putting some Optimol on the clutch splines next ! :eek:

Been having similar problems with my ‘93 GS PD clutch, and so I also replaced actuator bearing etc. Helped, but clutch was still very stiff.
Next I replaced the swivel pin on the handlebar lever and the nylon Bush, and changed routing on clutch cable(which was a pretty new cable), but then clutch was much smoother but still stiff!
Removed the handlebar lever again and sprayed lots of WD40 in the lever recess on the perch.
Result- very smooth and easy light clutch action ( for an airhead that is)!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roger.
Thanks for the idea, I had cleaned the pivot pin for the handlebar lever, but had not applies wd40 to the recess. I will do that this evening.
Clutch is far better than it was, So I’m pleased with it so far.
Wd40, then maybe fit the spare (new) cable I have sitting on the shelf.
Ride safe

Bubb

Roger.

Wd40, then maybe fit the spare (new) cable I have sitting on the shelf.

Bubb

If cable from Moto-Bins etc., just (before fitting ) curve the cable and see if the inner still moves freely. I had one ( gave me all sorts of
problems as I never suspected a new cable to be faulty:blast ) which moved freely when straight but was very stiff when curved. Credit to Moto-Bins, swopped it for me.

Final update;

After sorting the actuation arm bearing and bush, cleaning the lever recess, and finally fitting a new venhill featherlight cable, I now have a clutch which feels good, and doesn’t need a gorilla grip to pull the lever.

Thanks to all who offered suggestions.

Ride safe.

Bubb

Back
Top Bottom