Been messing around......

Mark Hooton

Cymarcbikeparts
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Guys/Gals, there’s most likely already a solution out there (and also much better than mine) but I’ve been wondering how I might get my back wheel up to take the wheel off on my R9T without a paddock stand and I’ve lashed this very much a prototype jack together - I’m yet to design and make the ABS parts but I’m very keen to listen to anybody who might have some good advice (including don’t give up your day job :)

I like ‘inventing’ stuff that may help!

281c816a6d1430c0eb6f0df73c005c66.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

as with everything you invent Mark i am sure by the time its finished it will be done to perfection pal

as with everything you invent Mark i am sure by the time its finished it will be done to perfection pal

Thanks pal :)

I don’t always get it right but thankfully for me there’s good guys on the forum who do offer great advice and help so eventually I do hope to get it right!

Ride safe

Two quick things Mark.

Although slightly more difficult to produce would a square or acme thread be better for lifting the weight of a loaded bike?

Presuming that the nut will be welded to the top of the outer tube, how do you intend to stop the tube turning as you turn the screw? Simply with a spanner on the nut?

No doubt you will have considered these questions but you did ask. Looks like a good simple design. It will be interesting to see your first (or second ;)) prototype.

Mark, you can get nuts with an attached rotating washer which would make the jacking process easier. Have a look on modernbike.com sub section hubs...axle nuts...problem solvers. It’s a bicycle site and they may not be man enough for your idea, but may be available elsewhere in a bigger size.

Al.

Two quick things Mark.

Although slightly more difficult to produce would a square or acme thread be better for lifting the weight of a loaded bike?

Presuming that the nut will be welded to the top of the outer tube, how do you intend to stop the tube turning as you turn the screw? Simply with a spanner on the nut?

No doubt you will have considered these questions but you did ask. Looks like a good simple design. It will be interesting to see your first (or second ;)) prototype.

All good questions mate and thanks for the input.acme threads are now painfully expensive to manufacture compared to ‘standard’ threads.

The tube will be keyed into abs to stop rotation.

Mark, you can get nuts with an attached rotating washer which would make the jacking process easier. Have a look on modernbike.com sub section hubs...axle nuts...problem solvers. It’s a bicycle site and they may not be man enough for your idea, but may be available elsewhere in a bigger size.

Al.

Thanks al but if I’ve got it right the thread stub will turn in the abs housing

Brilliant!

I saw someone use this method many years ago and thought "FUCK why didn't I think of this long ago" since then I've used it countless times.
Great for the rear wheel and sometimes ok for the front but of course a knobbly front tyre really helps :)
20170413_160549-X2.jpg

I saw someone use this method many years ago and thought "FUCK why didn't I think of this long ago" since then I've used it countless times.
Great for the rear wheel and sometimes ok for the front but of course a knobbly front tyre really helps :)

Yup!

Back to the topic, I made something similar several years ago for my 650, which fitted in the open crosstube - will hook it out later and post up photos if I can

Back to the topic, I made something similar several years ago for my 650, which fitted in the open crosstube - will hook it out later and post up photos if I can

After dropping in to a bit of a timewarp I have now taken the required twenty five steps and shot a few frames of my attempts at producing a temp propstand that could be used on almost any machine.
This was produced using the "leftovers" from the bathroom refit, I think they were the bits that you use to produce a flying loo or bidet.

Oh FFS!
Have to go back and work out how to post photos!
Beware the timewarp!:augie

Back
Top Bottom