Parallel thinking.......(dunno if that’s spelt right)

Mark Hooton

Cymarcbikeparts
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Guys/gals, I’ve been busy designing something for the R9T (and before you shout ‘wrong forum’ hear me out!).

Basically it’s a jack, strong enough for workshops but small enough to carry on the bike as, and I find this mad, R9T’s don’t come with centre stands (nor do other bikes - wtf, how do you turn or remove the rear wheel without a paddock stand?).

Please see attached image of the very first prototype, the final one will have proper designed to fit ABS parts on it, not modelling putty!

Obviously our GS’s don’t need it but I’ve just had a thought - would it be any good (modified) for incremental and controlled raising of the rear diff when realigning the drive shaft with the splined socket? (Or as usual am I spouting b*llocks and the rear diff is easily lifted by a mate while the rider does the realignment?).

Perhaps it could be used to lift the front of the bike under the engine?

I thought I’d ask - I’ve always been lucky to get feedback off the lads as I don’t know it all (well, very little actually but ask me about wine :)

2e80c2f1b3eaff7c14abba3fd56c153a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guys/gals, I’ve been busy designing something for the R9T (and before you shout ‘wrong forum’ hear me out!).

Basically it’s a jack, strong enough for workshops but small enough to carry on the bike as, and I find this mad, R9T’s don’t come with centre stands (nor do other bikes - wtf, how do you turn or remove the rear wheel without a paddock stand?).

Please see attached image of the very first prototype, the final one will have proper designed to fit ABS parts on it, not modelling putty!

Obviously our GS’s don’t need it but I’ve just had a thought - would it be any good (modified) for incremental and controlled raising of the rear diff when realigning the drive shaft with the splined socket? (Or as usual am I spouting b*llocks and the rear diff is easily lifted by a mate while the rider does the realignment?).

Perhaps it could be used to lift the front of the bike under the engine?

I thought I’d ask - I’ve always been lucky to get feedback off the lads as I don’t know it all (well, very little actually but ask me about wine :)

2e80c2f1b3eaff7c14abba3fd56c153a.jpg

d7b682431e549b050f15f1da02f9caf0.jpg

Sorry for the muddle of photos but as I don’t have the premium Tapatalk I can only do one at a time.

There is one already on the market but seemingly it’s not very safe or sturdy and seemingly it’s a good finger trap!
7c886f6f0dce1e450de4c1fba58d2fc7.jpg

I wonder if you mean lateral thinking?

A great idea; just what's needed for lubing the chain on the R9T. I have used a piece of wood jammed under the swinging arm in the past.

The front of the engine: TBH, I use a trolley jack with a bit of wood under the bash plate.

I wonder if you mean lateral thinking?

A great idea; just what's needed for lubing the chain on the R9T. I have used a piece of wood jammed under the swinging arm in the past.

The front of the engine: TBH, I use a trolley jack with a bit of wood under the bash plate.

Eh. Thought the R9T was shaft drive as well. Eejit

Yes you are probably right but, pal, the R9T doesn’t have a chain......

Appreciate your time to reply.

I made myself something similar from an old NHS walking crutch. I made it to work on my 690 Enduro so that puncture repairs didn't involve laying the bike down.
I seem to recall we used to call this sort of thing a "lazy stick". I did anyway!

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

I made myself something similar from an old NHS walking crutch. I made it to work on my 690 Enduro so that puncture repairs didn't involve laying the bike down.
I seem to recall we used to call this sort of thing a "lazy stick". I did anyway!

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Simple but effective!

Sorry for the muddle of photos but as I don’t have the premium Tapatalk I can only do one at a time.

There is one already on the market but seemingly it’s not very safe or sturdy and seemingly it’s a good finger trap!

That’s a shonky copy of a similar (but much better made) support / lifter that I use on my HP4.

A length of wood say 2x2 (with a bit of shaping work) does just as well.

That’s a shonky copy of a similar (but much better made) support / lifter that I use on my HP4.

As long as it does the job then that’s great - for me and only IMHO I’d be a bit concerned about it slipping off.....

My mate has one of them he uses on his MT09 when we are touring to lube his chain, never had it fail but it doesn't inspire me with confidence.

My mate has one of them he uses on his MT09 when we are touring to lube his chain, never had it fail but it doesn't inspire me with confidence.

Bike on side stand. Squat behind the bike. Lift the bike on one knee by pressing up under the swing arm. It pivots on the side stand. Spin rear wheel and spray chain.

Bike on side stand. Squat behind the bike. Lift the bike on one knee by pressing up under the swing arm. It pivots on the side stand. Spin rear wheel and spray chain.

The method above works really well if you are on your own, particularly when turning the wheel when looking for a tiny nail that has caused a puncture.

As you said, “When we are are on tour”, you can help your mate.

Put the bike on its side stand. You (or your mate) positions themselves to the bike’s near side and pulls (tilts) the bike sideways, the stand acting as a pivot, with the bike resting against the tilter’s body. The front wheel and stand form the two points in contact with the ground and the rear wheel leaves the ground. You do not need to tilt it very far, just enough so that the wheel can be turned. The other member of the team turns the wheel and sprays the chain. Easy and safe to do..... or just buy a Sottoiler.

Back
Top Bottom