Another rear wheel collapse..

Well if anyone wants to swap their spokes for a mint set of alloys with scorpion trail 2 on let me know.

Indeed but regardless of the year the need for a grub screw tells you that inherent in the design is a tendency towards loose spokes otherwise they wouldn't be needed.

It's true to say that as it only takes I think 5nm to torque up the spoke and that 1/4 turn can be sufficient to go from virtually nothing to acceptable there is very little room for error as the x lace is a very strong design.
As such the grub screw is probably necessary to act as a lock nut.
The new factor is why the spokes are not now staying tight despite the grub screw. We’re it a build process issue during manufacture you would think that would have been sorted long ago.

Long ago as in since the 90s there wasn't a problem...It appeared a couple of years ago....and you don't think it's due to material changes and where the wheels are built....
Hmmmm, a dubious conclusion me thinks but each to their own.

WC wheels aren't made by Behr

Neither were the hexheads were they? I don't recall this issue coming up with them either.

Long ago as in since the 90s there wasn't a problem...It appeared a couple of years ago....and you don't think it's due to material changes and where the wheels are built....

Hmmmm, a dubious conclusion me thinks but each to their own.

Neither were the hexheads were they? I don't recall this issue coming up with them either.

Are you sure

I thought they were on my 2008 when I had it

I’m led to believe by my dealer, BM changed wheel suppliers around 2015/2016 and it is those wheels what have the issue, I think they have returned to their original suppliers but don’t know when that occurred.

Hmmmm, a dubious conclusion me thinks.

The reason I don’t think it’s process is that the supplier builds millions of wheels annually for many marques and models. Were it a process issue as in not tensioning the spokes correctly then that would have been sorted long ago u would think.

It could be material as I think it’s more likely the spokes are stretching or regressing into the rim etc. I’m not sure whether the builder supplies the materials or why if it is a material issue that has not been rectified. Is the single sided swinger a factor as power levels have risen ?

Loose spokes were not a problem on the early water cooled bikes.

The x lace wheel is unique to bmw as far as I know.
If the 'new' spokes have a lower yeild strength (the point at which a material permanently deforms) then I would suggest it will likely stretch more under an equivalent tension than the 'old' spokes, ergo you might have to use a higher torque setting so that the spokes clockwise from 90 through to 270 remain in tension under all loading conditions. If they go into compression due to spokes clockwise from 270 to 90 'over stretching' this could allow them to loosen as you would lose the friction fit.

So it could be both a material and build issue....

You also have to consider what the supply contracts have in them and costs for changes or cancellation and quality... It might be commercially preferable to keep supplying dodgy wheels and sort under warranty as that's cheaper for BMW than cancellation.

It might be commercially preferable to keep supplying dodgy wheels and sort under warranty as that's cheaper for BMW than cancellation.

Until someone gets killed or maimed. If that’s BMW’s business model, then it shows a total lack of morals and ethics.

Until someone gets killed or maimed. If that’s BMW’s business model, then it shows a total lack of morals and ethics.
Bmw have history on this, I believe the Mini electric power steering failures without warning. Until a well known actor used got involved after his daughter had an accident

Sent from my Moto G6

They're building motorcycles. They don't give a shit if you get killed or maimed, that's your tough shit.

Bmw have history on this, I believe the Mini electric power steering failures without warning. Until a well known actor used got involved after his daughter had an accident

Sent from my Moto G6

I think it is an industry trait. Aprilia has collapsing suspension parts in the early 2000’s involving at least 1 death and a lawsuit in NZ which was settled out of court along with a gagging order. The part was never updated or a recall issued.

Look at Vauxhall with the self igniting zafira. The government almost had to force that recall.

My understanding was the failures were due to brake calipers becoming loose and hitting the spokes.

I will be checking both the calipers are secured and the spokes make a nice tingy sound.

I think it is an industry trait. Aprilia has collapsing suspension parts in the early 2000’s involving at least 1 death and a lawsuit in NZ which was settled out of court along with a gagging order. The part was never updated or a recall issued.

Look at Vauxhall with the self igniting zafira. The government almost had to force that recall.
Yes, you are correct. They seem to get away with anything..

Sent from my Moto G6

A shopping centre car park, some of the shops and something over a hundred (I think closer to 200) cars went up in flames here, in Cork, a month or two ago, down to this recall not having been done on a Zafira.
Insurance payout estimate €116m.

Sorry, I digress. Back to BMW and the wheel issue.

My understanding was the failures were due to brake calipers becoming loose and hitting the spokes.
That's still a possibility....but I would say most likely in limited numbers. The scale of the problem suggests something more. Also folks are having wheels replaced on new bikes due to spoke tension.

That's still a possibility....but I would say most likely in limited numbers. The scale of the problem suggests something more. Also folks are having wheels replaced on new bikes due to spoke tension.

The scale of the issue cannot determine the cause or even intimate the likely cause. Whilst you may well be correct that the cause maybe something completely different or more likely a range of causes the numbers.

I think that there is sufficient doubt it’s a single cause, if it was or a simple material or build quality issue, BMW would have recalled bikes as they did with the front suspension failure.

So the UKGSER investigative team should consider what the full range of likely causes

Faulty spokes
Faulty spoke nuts
Faulty hubs
Faulty rims
Poor assembly
Poor inspection
Other component failure
Foreign object passing through wheel
Etc etc

Back
Top Bottom