Another rear wheel collapse..

I have spoked wheels. Will be checking before every ride.

When i was at the NEC i noticed some motorbikes that had spoked wheels the the spokes were thicker in diameter compared to BMW.

When i was at the NEC i noticed some motorbikes that had spoked wheels the the spokes were thicker in diameter compared to BMW.

Remind me never to go to a motorcycle show with you....

The scale of the issue cannot determine the cause or even intimate the likely cause. Whilst you may well be correct that the cause maybe something completely different or more likely a range of causes the numbers.

I think that there is sufficient doubt it’s a single cause, if it was or a simple material or build quality issue, BMW would have recalled bikes as they did with the front suspension failure.

So the UKGSER investigative team should consider what the full range of likely causes

Faulty spokes
Faulty spoke nuts
Faulty hubs
Faulty rims
Poor assembly
Poor inspection
Other component failure
Foreign object passing through wheel
Etc etc

Recall = admission of liability, I had a 1150rt ,bucket load of brake servo failures , motobins even did a removal kit , yet no recall even the US of A .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Recall = admission of liability, I had a 1150rt ,bucket load of brake servo failures , motobins even did a removal kit , yet no recall even the US of A .

However rear flanges to oil cooled r1200gs did get a recall.

Is it possible multiple spokes snapped causing the rear wheel to wobble thus causing the rear brake disc to twist and snap the rear caliper forcing it into the rear wheel.

More I think about this it's a spokes issue.

So the UKGSER investigative team should consider what the full range of likely causes

Faulty spokes
Faulty spoke nuts
Faulty hubs
Faulty rims
Poor assembly
Poor inspection
Other component failure
Foreign object passing through wheel
Etc etc

Don't forget the fat cnuts on vastly overloaded bikes. :rob :D :D

The rider is well and has reported the matter.

FWIW he is nowhere near as big as the average tosser.

:beerjug:

Can the original OP report it as a safety issue and demand a recall or investigation? Can u do this online?

Yes, they can report it to the Vehicle Safety branch of DVSA based at Berkley house in Bristol, they will take it up with BMW if they don’t already know although that’s not to say they will launch a recall but they will cover their arse with BMW.

Yes, they can report it to the Vehicle Safety branch of DVSA based at Berkley house in Bristol, they will take it up with BMW if they don’t already know although that’s not to say they will launch a recall but they will cover their arse with BMW.

See above post

Get your friend to report it here , in fact all suspected defects should be reported , I’ve used this to record a fire with an Audi , they have far more clout to deal with manufacturers than us mere mortals.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-recalls-and-faults/report-a-serious-safety-defect

It seems BMW are aware of this problem and issued a technical service bulletin in 2018 about spokes coming loose. Their explanation suggests a coating applied to the nipples/grubscrews was responsible for them coming loose. Dealers were advised… owners were urged… blah blah blah…

Any wheel with 7 or more loose spokes was being replaced, less than 7 the dealer would tighten them up.

So much for the importance of safety eh, seems that was kept under the radar if none of you guys had heard about it.

https://youtu.be/i2p56AWk0ds

It seems BMW are aware of this problem and issued a technical service bulletin in 2018 about spokes coming loose. Their explanation suggests a coating applied to the nipples/grubscrews was responsible for them coming loose. Dealers were advised… owners were urged… blah blah blah…

Any wheel with 7 or more loose spokes was being replaced, less than 7 the dealer would tighten them up.

So much for the importance of safety eh, seems that was kept under the radar if none of you guys had heard about it.

https://youtu.be/i2p56AWk0ds

That’s generally well known but as spokes in new bikes built since the bulletin still are coming loose, it seems to be more than that. They had another bulletin claiming the grub screws were torqued incorrectly as well so I’m not sure they know the root cause either.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose. Many many moons ago I owned a Laverda Jota which was equipped with those new-fangled alloy wheels and which damn near killed me and a mate on the back when the front wheel broke up when making progress. Pretty sure that some of the first gen alloy wheels on BMs had issues as well.

Well that's torn it, I can't get Rush out of my head now :blast

I have been following the forum for some time and this is my first post.
I have had some experience with R1200GSLC rear brake caliper becoming detached and tearing off the back wheel... I was doing 110kph at the time and spent a lot of time in intensive care and a lengthy recovery.
I consider there is insufficient rear torque on the caliper bolts and need a secondary retaining device (safety wired / lock tight / metal tab, etc) to counter the vibration inherent in the shaft drive.
I am also aware of the same issue occurring with a BMW 650 that resulted in the rear mag wheel being broken.
Another chap I have spoken to discovered his front brake caliper about to literally fall off during a stop over on a ride.
It is dangerous and needs to be rectified.
Cheers
ps if I can figure out how to attach a pictures I will do so.

I have been following the forum for some time and this is my first post.
I have had some experience with R1200GSLC rear brake caliper becoming detached and tearing off the back wheel... I was doing 110kph at the time and spent a lot of time in intensive care and a lengthy recovery.
I consider there is insufficient rear torque on the caliper bolts and need a secondary retaining device (safety wired / lock tight / metal tab, etc) to counter the vibration inherent in the shaft drive.
I am also aware of the same issue occurring with a BMW 650 that resulted in the rear mag wheel being broken.
Another chap I have spoken to discovered his front brake caliper about to literally fall off during a stop over on a ride.
It is dangerous and needs to be rectified.
Cheers
ps if I can figure out how to attach a pictures I will do so.

What is torque setting on the rear brake caliper?

Thanks for the feedback TRG, I hope that you fully recovered from your spill?

Do you have or is there any documentary evidence supporting those examples.
It would help with bringing this topic out into the daylight.

I suspect that there is a substantial difference in terms of liability, to BMW’s reputation if cases are dealt with quietly as goodwill gestures rather than being treated as a warranty claim.

But as in your case, the consequences can be significant.

Back
Top Bottom