Another rear wheel collapse..

Oldrat

So much better now Engineer is on ignore
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
With reference to this closed thread..
https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showt...-Wheel-Collapse?highlight=Rear+brake+collapse

This morning a friend had a similar event on his LC.

It had been serviced by BMW 6 weeks previously, and luckily he was travelling relatively slowly.
He tells me it appears that the calliper mount on the hub casing has snapped, the calliper still has the bolts securely in place. It sounds like the mount has failed or the spokes have failed demolishing the mount?

Attachments

• 9996E485-3F9B-4F77-8666-6AE44373B8F1.jpg
    9996E485-3F9B-4F77-8666-6AE44373B8F1.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 2,656
Advanced order.

Cheese & Pickle & Pastrami on White bread

Awaiting the the rest of the team to arrive

Initial thoughts,

Those bolts ldont look fully tightened?

Did the owner fit new pads recently?

looks like its been dragged in arse-first - which suggests spokes encouraged it - BWDIK?

Did he EVER check his spoke tensions?

Ting... ting.... ting.... clonk?

By the way, stop fucking about with these spoked wheels and switch to alloys if you're just doing road riding.

Easier to clean, easier to maintain, lighter and they don't try to kill you and your bike.

Just saying.

By the way, stop fucking about with these spoked wheels and switch to alloys if you're just doing road riding.

Easier to clean, easier to maintain, lighter and they don't try to kill you and your bike.

Just saying.

I’ve had spoked wheels on an adventure bike since 1998 and none have ever tried to kill me.But only briefly were they on a BMW.

As Bem pointed out, it looks like the spokes pulled the caliper into the wheel. Also there is rust starting on the Chinese erm BMW disc, fancy that eh!.. Salmon and cucumber for me please on wholemeal.

Could it have been his Spokey Dokies that got dragged in? :nenau

Attachments

• A85D629C-D3A8-41FB-B783-37CEEC2A9F88.jpeg
    A85D629C-D3A8-41FB-B783-37CEEC2A9F88.jpeg
    45.4 KB · Views: 2,420
could have been alot lot worse than it was OP...glad your mate is ok and it gets sorted.

Spam and tomato sauce for me.

Had he considered loctite?

had he been using Mucoff ?

it plays havoc with your corrosion

There should be a world wide recall. It's as simple as that. Somebody will lose their life on a motorway. :mad:

As the final gearbox and brake calliper is of the same design as the bikes with cast wheels and as there have been no postings of the calliper breaking off cast wheeled bikes. Surely one must question if it is a problem with the spoked wheel design and not related to lack of locktite or axle design. IMHO.

Just saying.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose. Many many moons ago I owned a Laverda Jota which was equipped with those new-fangled alloy wheels and which damn near killed me and a mate on the back when the front wheel broke up when making progress. Pretty sure that some of the first gen alloy wheels on BMs had issues as well.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose. Many many moons ago I owned a Laverda Jota which was equipped with those new-fangled alloy wheels and which damn near killed me and a mate on the back when the front wheel broke up when making progress. Pretty sure that some of the first gen alloy wheels on BMs had issues as well.

Oh yes recall on r100’s, the r65s were okay though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8c98d3122736f3f43687605d5515113c.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom