790 Duke

Well that was quick, 160 miles in and back to dealers

Arm on the clutch moved giving me little or no slack on the cable, they adjusted it and sent me on my way, sure it's moved again since I got back.

Ordered my 790 Duke this afternoon from Moto Corsa in Gillingham. It'll take them a couple of weeks to get it delivered so should have it by mid July. I tried the Super Duke but much preferred the 790. I'm keeping the gs for longer trips and will use the Duke as every day riding. Akra end can, heated grips and handguards being fitted ready for delivery. :bounce1:steptoe:bounce1

Nice one, have you done your research on it's issues ??

I'd like to think I went in with my eyes wide open, thought I might get further than 160 miles before I had any problems though :rolleyes:

Nice one, have you done your research on it's issues ??

I'd like to think I went in with my eyes wide open, thought I might get further than 160 miles before I had any problems though :rolleyes:

Yes, I've done my research and I also expect to get more than 160 miles before problems occur, if any do occur. Fingers crossed, they won't.

The 790 Duke put a bigger smile on my face than any other I've ridden for many a year and will be perfect for the Dorset A and B roads.

Yes, I've done my research and I also expect to get more than 160 miles before problems occur, if any do occur. Fingers crossed, they won't.

The 790 Duke put a bigger smile on my face than any other I've ridden for many a year and will be perfect for the Dorset A and B roads.

I've done 10k trouble free and fun miles on my 390 inc several long trips.

It's easy to highlight problems. Reliability doesn't get the same attention. My gs has just had its first problem at 46k miles, yet, to read some of the comments the gs lc is a catalogue of disaster. While I am unlikely to see 46k miles on the Duke, I'm not going to wrap it in cotton wool. It'll be ridden in all (most) weathers. I'll explore the full rev range, which I wouldn't have done on the Super Duke I tried and rejected.

I'm just waiting for the phone call to say it's ready. Bring it on!

It's restricted to street and rain during run in and I'm sure it's anti wheelie thingy is on as well cause I've only managed to get the front up once over numerous rises I did yesterday.

If it’s anything like the bigger bikes they’ll set the gear change indicator to lower revs but you can alter that yourself if you want to give it a bit of stick without the idiot light glaring in your eyes.

Just remember that KTM can and will interrogate the ECU if you put in any engine related warranty claims so whether that inadvertent bit of over revving did the damage or not they’ll pick upon it and throw it in your face. They also check that you’ve let it warm up properly rather than just start it, put your crash helmet on and nail it which equals a rejection of warranty claims.

On the other hand they will consider claims made when the warranty has expired and if you’ve been a good boy they do pay out or at least contribute towards costs.

Indeed, much like they are likely to check the ecu at first service to see what modes it's been in, how high it's been revved, folk that think they can get away with stuff nowadays are kidding them selves, those things will tell the dealers everything you've done on the bike and so far after 250 miles I've been a good boy.

I've not had to run a bike in for many years, so I will need to be patient. What sort of performance should I expect during the first 600 miles (is it still 600 miles?). I'll book the first service when I collect the bike, which will give me 2-3 weeks to clock up the miles. I'll have to hope that the weather is ok during that period. It's blowing a hooley here atm.

You'll get about 70mph out of 3rd, 85 out of 4th, 90+ out of 5th and over a ton out of top but you'll be holding on tightly at that speed.

This is the first new bike I've actually run in properly for 20 years, every other one I've just thrashed from the get go. I'm sure you can just thrash it from the start but as pointed out above, a quick look at the ecu on their laptops will very quickly show you've been naughty.

I've done 254 since picking it up on Wednesday, that was 45 that day and 210 yesterday, hosed down here all day today or I'd have had at least another ton on it.

Thanks Cabby. Looks like I'll cope, even at running in speeds :thumb2

I can't get too excited yet as I won't have a delivery date for another week or 2. I could have gone to Fowlers and got one immediately but as I no longer live in Bristol it's a long way for service and warranty work. I know any KTM dealer could do it but I'd rather deal with someone local, so I'll have to wait.

Are you dealing through Motocorsa? Haven't visited their shop yet; any good?

They've got a showroom full of exotica. £36k MV anyone? MV, KTM, Guzzi, Brough Superior and Enfield all in stock, but no orange 790 Duke atm

Salesman (Paul) seems ok. Happy to let me try both Super Duke and Duke. No attempt to influence my decision, which was good. Discount on farkles when purchased with bike and competitive (with Fowlers, who are huuuuge) on prices.

I'm disappointed that I am having to wait for an unspecified period of time (should be about 2 weeks :nenau) for them to get my bike in when Fowlers have 3 in stock, but that's the price I'm paying for dealing with a more local retailer. I'm only using Fowlers as a comparator as they are the next nearest ktm dealer.

We'll see how they are when it comes to service and if it comes to warranty claims.

Moto Corsa also have a shorter waiting list for workshop services. I will book the 600 mile service when I collect the bike, which will give me 2-3 weeks to do the miles. Hopefully the weather will improve.

I was also told 2-3 weeks for the 2020's coming in and seemed to random for me and tbh the orange one had too much orange on it for me :rolleyes: and I didn't like the black with the orange wheels so went for the 2019 black with black wheels that was in stock.

If that 2-3 weeks becomes another 2 or 3 weeks you're then in to August and summer slipping away, so that also influenced my decision.

Back
Top Bottom