790 Duke

Bike is 5 days old and had three issues with it already, this is going to be a challenging ownership.

Clutch arm moved which caused huge slack in the cable and very little adjustment, thankfully it happened when I was only 20 miles from dealers, sorted right away.
Last night it was sitting outside during a heavy shower, went to bring it in, turned ignition on and it started without touching the button, squirt of WD and it's fine.
Just back in after a short 40/50 mile run to fnd the famous and well known issue of a leak from the valve cover.

:blast

Do you regret buying it?

What were your alternative bikes if you had decided against the Duke?

Do you regret buying it?

What were your alternative bikes if you had decided against the Duke?

Nope, would help if I could ride it in Summer :rolleyes: it's been baltic since I've bought it :blast

The only other I looked at was the 390 but after having ridden the 790 the 390 lost it's appeal.

I spoke with Paul at Moto Corsa today. No sign of my bike yet. He said he will chase KTM on Monday and if they can't promise an imminent delivery date he will refund my deposit. I told him Fowlers have them in stock. He is happy to do servicing and warranty work if I buy from Fowlers. I have bought 4 bikes from Fowlers in the past and have no issues with them other than that they are further away, but only about 20 miles further.

First service is booked in for next week where, the sprocket seal and bush are to be replaced, the QS is to be looked at, as is the kill switch after a possible short while it was out in the rain, on a plus note, the valve cover hasn't leaked any more........for now :rolleyes:

First service is booked in for next week where, the sprocket seal and bush are to be replaced, the QS is to be looked at, as is the kill switch after a possible short while it was out in the rain, on a plus note, the valve cover hasn't leaked any more........for now :rolleyes:

So it’s going well then? :blast :p

Is that not only on 390 Dukes? It's the only KTM I've had that problem on.

I had it on my 790 Adventure. Apparently they share a very similar screen with the 390 but the one on the 790 Duke is different and supposedly better designed and built. I was waiting for my 2nd replacement one when I gave up and sold the bike.

I'm really tempted by the Duke but my experience of KTM is putting me off. May go for an MT 07 for reliability even if it's lower spec.

Moto Corsa have no idea when they will be getting any 790s. Same for SP Motorcycles in Exeter. Fowlers have them but about a 4 week wait for PDI due to volume of sales, so order cancelled. By the time I could get one the summer will be all but over. If Moto Corsa get one soon, I'll have it, but if not, I'll wait until spring. By then KTM might have reduced the price of the 890R.

Moto Corsa have no idea when they will be getting any 790s. Same for SP Motorcycles in Exeter. Fowlers have them but about a 4 week wait for PDI due to volume of sales, so order cancelled. By the time I could get one the summer will be all but over. If Moto Corsa get one soon, I'll have it, but if not, I'll wait until spring. By then KTM might have reduced the price of the 890R.

Give Darren a call at Premier Bikes 01235 519195 :thumb

There seems to be a steep non-fiscal cost to riding orange which is a shame as a middleweight with good power is such an attractive proposition.

JD Racing in Saltash have one advertised. 2019 model unregistered for £6999. No idea if that's out of date by now.

Fowlers have a bike for me and will pdi as soon as they can. They tell me they have sold 600 bikes, all of which need a pdi before collection. They are fitting my choice of farkles at cost price and free fitting. Nice one! These include an Akrapovic end can, heated grips, tail tidy and pillion seat cowl. They will also remove the pillion pegs. I now have to be patient and wait for a phone call.

That's a lot of extras.

There is a vid out there with a guy who bought the Akra, said he would never spend that money again on an exhaust that sounded little different from stock, he then subsequently went on to remove baffle and said it sounded much better but was a big job getting it out and wouldn't do again if presented.

Back
Top Bottom