Rear wheel turning when on centre stand and in neutral

StewMcGrew

Reaction score
I had the rear wheel off to sort an issue with the speed sensor on the bevel box. I had the engine running with the bike in neutral and the rear hub was rotating at maybe 1 rotation every 3-4 seconds.

It makes me think that the clutch plate is dragging when the bike is stationary and in neutral when stopped.

Is this normal? :nenau

Oiled rag, is what he maybe meant.

Whale oil? :D

Anyway ... When the bike is in gear, the mainshaft is connected to the layshaft directly via the appropriate gear. But even in neutral, the two are connected. They're in a bath of viscous oil. The mainshaft induces a small degree of torque on the layshaft by churning the oil it's sitting in. Think of a water mill.

(Whale oil be ... :D)

Edit: clutch drag will only happen when the bike is in gear and you pull in the clutch but poor adjustment leads to the engine not being fully disengaged from the final drive.

Phew! :D

Whale oil? :D

Anyway ... When the bike is in gear, the mainshaft is connected to the layshaft directly via the appropriate gear. But even in neutral, the two are connected. They're in a bath of viscous oil. The mainshaft induces a small degree of torque on the layshaft by churning the oil it's sitting in. Think of a water mill.

(Whale oil be ... :D)

To much information :D

Thank you very much!!!

Just got to sort out the Speed Sensor now. Tried cleaning it, but it's still not working so will need to put a new one in.

FWIW it's not a great idea to run an air cooled machine on the stand for any length of time, particularly a shaft drive machine. The lack of air flow will lead to a rapid rise in temperature to the extent that the plastic sight glass can melt disgorging its contents causing flood, fire and famine !

FWIW it's not a great idea to run an air cooled machine on the stand for any length of time, particularly a shaft drive machine. The lack of air flow will lead to a rapid rise in temperature to the extent that the plastic sight glass can melt disgorging its contents causing flood, fire and famine !

Thought it was glass , not plastique

I couldn’t help but have the tune to Dem Bones in my head when I started reading this.

In a similar vein, when I see stuff like this I hear a song from the Canadian band 'Barenaked Ladies' called "It's all been done before".

Back
Top Bottom