2005 Hexhead timing cover removal

matgriff

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi, I'm just about to remove the timing cover on my 2005 hexhead to get it powder coated. I have the bike partially stripped and up on my work table. The cover is corroded, I guess its a common problem.

I can see post relating to re-furbing in situ, but not much info on removing it.

My question is relating to the balancer shaft bearing. When I've removed all the M6 bolts and the alternator belt, should the cover pull off, with the balance shaft bearing staying in the case (I guess so as it's got a circlip on the front of it)

Do I need to tap the balance shaft slightly to free it through the bearing ?

I realise I need to replace the crank oil seal afterwards.

Also the Haynes manual makes reference to getting the engine at TDC and inserting a pin through the flywheel or similar.... is that a necessary step ?

Thanks

Mat

Thats what is behind

DSC02352.jpg

Heat the front cover If I recall correctly there is a bearing in that part with the square plastic cover

Feel free to have a look around

http://s663.photobucket.com/user/Jaythro55/library/Petes R1200GS

OK thanks for the info, I think some of these pictures came up when I searched.

Yes, the bearing is fixed in the bottom part of the casing, I think it's different on the later models, they don't seem to have the plastic cover or bearing.

So basically that lower gear just pushes through the bearing inner race as the cover is removed ?

As all the gears stay in place, I can't see the need to get the engine into the TDC position ? any idea on that ?

Mat

Haven't done the job myself, so this is not based on direct knowledge. But in another recent thread Steptoe, who would know, said no need for TDC

If I recall correctly Haynes advises this as part of the engine removal process rather than as a specific requirement for the timing cover

Haven't done the job myself, so this is not based on direct knowledge. But in another recent thread Steptoe, who would know, said no need for TDC

If I recall correctly Haynes advises this as part of the engine removal process rather than as a specific requirement for the timing cover

Right OK makes sense... thanks

Mat

Brilliant... just what I was looking for :) Thanks for the write up.

Regards

Mat

You're welcome

Just one thing to watch - once the cover starts to come away, keep your baby finger on the lower gear shaft (the bit sticking out through thebearing) to stop it coming away with the cover, so you don't lose timing. There are marks on the teeth anyway but best not pull the cover off too fast to risk it.

OK thanks for the heads up on that.... The Haynes manual suggests making up a simple puller that attaches to two of the M6 threaded holes for the bearing cover, and pushes against the centre part of the shaft to draw the cover and bearing off over the shaft, I guess that's to stop that gear pulling off with the cover. I'll make one up and use it to be sure.

Thanks

Mat

Back
Top Bottom