Getting around Paris

Status
Not open for further replies.

alan29

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I will be travelling from Zeebrugge to Murol in the Auvergne next year. Planning on doing it in two days. We are two up so long days are not a good idea. I don't mind using Autoroutes to get there - we will be there for a week, noodling around the best roads and getting the biking "fix."
Route planners seem to suggest the Periferique or the Francilienne (A/N104) or going round the north of Paris on the A38. I towed a caravan along the Francilienne years ago - it was OK if you kept your wits about you.
Do people have recent experience on these - congestion, murderous drivers etc.
Or any suggestions for a fast route avoiding Paris completely?

Or any suggestions for a fast route avoiding Paris completely?

Avoid going around Paris on the only basis that it will slow you down (same with Reims generally, but with a minor effect) with its traffic.
A38 would be the best choice.
Or you can detour in the countryside. Will probably take longer, but will be more enjoyable. I remember I did some nice routes in the Gatinais.

You do not need to go anywhere near Paris to get from Zeebruge to Murol in two days.

Instead of relying on a route planner entirely, look at the line it produces and zoom it back a bit. For simple examples, you could take the motorways to Le Mans and then head south or, the motorways via Reims, Troyes, Auxerre and then on from there.....

Definitely avoid Paris

Head down via Reims, Troyes, Dijon to Lyon then across to Clermont Ferrand

The motorway is good and empty and you no longer have to get on the ring road around the large towns like Reims now

Avoid going around Paris on the only basis that it will slow you down (same with Reims generally, but with a minor effect) with its traffic.
A38 would be the best choice.
Or you can detour in the countryside. Will probably take longer, but will be more enjoyable. I remember I did some nice routes in the Gatinais.
Rheims has a sodding great autoroute around it now.

I use it 4-6 times a year and rarely have to break stride let alone get held up.

I use it 4-6 times a year and rarely have to break stride let alone get held up.

I ride around Reims at least once a year by car (at xmas I tend to drive back home instead of flying). It is true that last time I got properly stuck around Reims was 3/4 years ago, but I still have the "oh I'm going around Reims" feeling when I reach it.
If I remember correctly there are a few stretches where they drop the speed limit to 100, and you get a bit of the urban traffic on the motorway (people drive differently).

Nothing terrible of course, and not comparable to going around other big cities like Paris, or less big like Milan, but I'd avoid it if possible.

Keep in mind that driving/riding through France is probably one of my favourite activities. :)
I don't like flying that much, so I tend to cross France by road to go back home a lot.

I ride around Reims at least once a year by car (at xmas I tend to drive back home instead of flying). It is true that last time I got properly stuck around Reims was 3/4 years ago, but I still have the "oh I'm going around Reims" feeling when I reach it.
If I remember correctly there are a few stretches where they drop the speed limit to 100, and you get a bit of the urban traffic on the motorway (people drive differently).

Nothing terrible of course, and not comparable to going around other big cities like Paris, or less big like Milan, but I'd avoid it if possible.

Keep in mind that driving/riding through France is probably one of my favourite activities. :)
I don't like flying that much, so I tend to cross France by road to go back home a lot.
Are you sure you’re in the new autoroute and not the old one alongside the river?

Not 100% sure.

At least one of those tracks has been done by car (I stopped using the Garmin's in the car ages ago) :D :D :D

round_reims.png

round_detail.png

If you’re on the A26 going either way it just carries on past Reims (although it becomes the A4 for a bit I think) no need to change roads, just keep going straight on

You used to have to go into Reims and follow the ring road which was slow, congested and full of speed cameras

The new bit of autoroute has been open a few years now

Or just man up and hit Paris. Think of the tale of daring do you’ll have to tell your grandchildren.

I've always quite enjoyed the Peripherique on the bike. Gets the adrenaline pumping!

I can see how it might be less exciting for a pillion, so on that basis I'd go via Reims and Auxerre, perhaps using the autoroutes as far as Troyes and then enjoying the N-roads beyond that.

Or just man up and hit Paris. Think of the tale of daring do you’ll have to tell your grandchildren.

I agree !! Why Not! Take in the sights, hit the Champs Elysees, parp yer horn with all the natives around the Arc de Triumph and soak it all up!!

611.jpg
[/URL]

I agree !! Why Not! Take in the sights, hit the Champs Elysees, parp yer horn with all the natives around the Arc de Triumph and soak it all up!!

But if he goes to Paris he’ll need a yellow vest and an ethylotest and a crit air sticker and spare bulbs and a warning triangle and CE approved gloves and reflective stickers on his lid and a.... and ....

And that’s a whole new thread we really don’t want to fucking start !:rob

Adding the panic of 'What if I get caught without any of that' to the adrenalin rush of the peripherique .... He's going to be buzzing!! :D

I do sometimes listen to music when I ride, and I can definitely connect (time and place) with edgy music and busy city rush hour ... :thumb2

Thanks folks.
Have decided to go via Sens to have a look at the very first Gothic cathedral ever built - yes, I actually like that sort of thing! That will involve a bit of A104.
And return via Rambouillet to revisit a much nicer chateau than the one down the road at Versailles (IMHO) then via Beauvais to Zeebrugge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom