Not really impressed

Dunlop had a new tyre at the show which looked good, Trailmax Meridian.

According to the chap on the stand they will be bringing out a version of the Sport Smart in the new year as well , named the Sport Smart TT Trail and looks as he describes like a pure sports tyre … cant fookin wait as I will give that ago.:thumby:

Ok I have a question.
I will have to ditch the A3s soon and was probably going to go Roadtec 01s as I do not ride off road.
Would the Trail Attack 3 be as good considering they do a nod towards off road?

Most of my miles are done commuting and that means riding in usually 5 - 15 degrees C with a fair bit of rain and damp mixed in. What I’m looking for is the best wet weather grip even if the tyre can’t get properly warmed. I’m not overly concerned with mileage but would prefer a resistance to premature cupping (that just sounds wrong)

Ok I have a question.
I will have to ditch the A3s soon and was probably going to go Roadtec 01s as I do not ride off road.
Would the Trail Attack 3 be as good considering they do a nod towards off road?

Most of my miles are done commuting and that means riding in usually 5 - 15 degrees C with a fair bit of rain and damp mixed in. What I’m looking for is the best wet weather grip even if the tyre can’t get properly warmed. I’m not overly concerned with mileage but would prefer a resistance to premature cupping (that just sounds wrong)

Bob , I used the Tec 1 and even as good as there were the front always felt odd and decided to get them off the bike. The TA3 , I'm now on my 3nd set, are great in all conditions . I don't commute but normally ride in most weathers in the Wales area which has a great selection of roads from the usual rural A roads to twisty B roads and the back tracks as well which are normally covered in placed with gravel , grit , animal shit , moss etc
The TA3 in the wet and slippy conditions are brilliant , they still seem to get decent heat in them and have never moved. In the dry they can be pushed hard and the front never moves or feel squirrelly mileage I would say for me is no more than 2.5 to 3 k on a good day.
To add the PR5 is a good wet weather tyre , but I found they wear fast and the smooth band of rubber on the edges can when banked over ( as you can on the TA3) would slip at times , upright though are good and also impressive under wet braking.
Overall I would choose the TA3 as I have never had any issues with the sets I have used , run in and summer 1st set , Spain 2nd set , now running autum / winter on the 3rd set :thumb:thumb 1250 gs

Stick

Bob , I used the Tec 1 and even as good as there were the front always felt odd and decided to get them off the bike. The TA3 , I'm now on my 3nd set, are great in all conditions . I don't commute but normally ride in most weathers in the Wales area which has a great selection of roads from the usual rural A roads to twisty B roads and the back tracks as well which are normally covered in placed with gravel , grit , animal shit , moss etc
The TA3 in the wet and slippy conditions are brilliant , they still seem to get decent heat in them and have never moved. In the dry they can be pushed hard and the front never moves or feel squirrelly mileage I would say for me is no more than 2.5 to 3 k on a good day.
To add the PR5 is a good wet weather tyre , but I found they wear fast and the smooth band of rubber on the edges can when banked over ( as you can on the TA3) would slip at times , upright though are good and also impressive under wet braking.
Overall I would choose the TA3 as I have never had any issues with the sets I have used , run in and summer 1st set , Spain 2nd set , now running autum / winter on the 3rd set :thumb:thumb 1250 gs

Stick

Michelin Pilot Road, any model (1,2,3 or 4) or Pilot 5’s great tyres never had one slip in the wet and great in the dry. Usually get 6000 - 7,500 miles from the rear & 12,000 from the front. Been using them for well over 100,000 miles on both an 1150GS & 1200GSA. Any tyre that lasts less than 4,500 just wouldn’t work for me, I’d have to waste a day on every summer trip getting tyres changed mid way through. Pilot (Roads) work well in the Uk, 100 miles a day commute & through out Europe even the heat of Spain in August.

Would take a lot to get me to change to another brand/type of tyre.

Road use only I don’t off road.

Michelin Pilot Road, any model (1,2,3 or 4) or Pilot 5’s great tyres never had one slip in the wet and great in the dry. Usually get 6000 - 7,500 miles from the rear & 12,000 from the front. Been using them for well over 100,000 miles on both an 1150GS & 1200GSA. Any tyre that lasts less than 4,500 just wouldn’t work for me, I’d have to waste a day on every summer trip getting tyres changed mid way through. Pilot (Roads) work well in the Uk, 100 miles a day commute & through out Europe even the heat of Spain in August.

Would take a lot to get me to change to another brand/type of tyre.

Road use only I don’t off road.

Usually get 6000 - 7,500 miles from the rear & 12,000 from the front

Fuckin hell , well done , I can only dream of that.
To add tho , the new PR5 when leant over in the wet and pushing on as I can with the TA3 does ( for me ) slip a bit .

They have a stiff sidewall, which doesn’t suit everyone.

So do the trailriders.

I wouldn't be a fan (of the trailriders). Short lifespan too.

Currently on Pirelli Scorpion Trail IIs and they are wearing very well

So do the trailriders.

I wouldn't be a fan (of the trailriders). Short lifespan too.

Define short?

8.5K on my rear and i changes the front as well, as the wear on the RHS was enough for me to warrant a change

I'm on Tourances at the moment,

They were awfull until scrubbed in, ( not full convinced though)

wet grip is almost on a par with the trailriders, ( every now and again they have a little squirm, while not the end of the world, is enough to make you think "Really!!")

Dry and laden they wander terribly. very skittish over white lines and squirm badly on dry roads

Define short?

8.5K on my rear and i changes the front as well, as the wear on the RHS was enough for me to warrant a change

I'm on Tourances at the moment,

They were awfull until scrubbed in, ( not full convinced though)

wet grip is almost on a par with the trailriders, ( every now and again they have a little squirm, while not the end of the world, is enough to make you think "Really!!")

Dry and laden they wander terribly. very skittish over white lines and squirm badly on dry roads

Got about 4k kms out of the rear. Thre was still legal thread left but it had become totally unpredicitable grip-wise and were 'tipping' into corners.

The front ran wide on me twice on dry grippy tarmac on a tour of Scotland (I ride quickly) when they tyres were relatively new. Will never fit them again. I triedd them because of all the good reviews I had seen on here.

They were on a 2010 GSA TC.

Had the Anakee adventures on the bike from new, changed them for PR5 after 7000miles. Really didn't like the adventures when in the pyrenees, on the tight twisty corner's it felt like the front wanted to fold under me.

Stick

Thanks Stick

I think I would need the aid of a small blow torch to heat up the tyres the way you torture yours

If they work well in a Welsh winter they should be grand for my commute as with the stop starts it’s hard to keep any decent temp in them.

Plus they are newer then the roadtec and I’m a sucker for shiny new

Thank you all for your replies

I ride similar type of roads as the OP and in similar temperatures, I’v got Scorpion trail 2 on, and they are the best tyre I’ve ever had on. They are very grippy, and confidence inspiring, with a deep tread.

In fact in a few hours time, they will be whisking me up to Ronda...:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom