Couple of questions

Neil W

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Brother in law is going to look at a F850GS at the weekend , bike is fairly well specced up and very low miles but does not have Cruise Control fitted which is one of the options he wants .

I know it is a £350 option from new but has anyone had it done as a retrofit from a dealer and if so how much did it cost ?

Secondly since the initial production batch problems with motors has anyone done any serious miles and if so have there been any reliability issues ?

Only done just over 4k on mine not had a problem so far,

I don't know of the CC retrofit but would expect it to be very expensive as will need a new LH switch unit as well. I have had a couple, a 750 and now a 850GSA. The 750 needed a new engine after having the cam chain and Cylinder Head replaced. I rejected that bike (which is now for sale at CW Motorcycles - new engine included). The 850 has been fine. I would recommend the GSA over the GS albeit it is fairly heavy as the wind protection and riding position is much better. There is no difference at all between the 750 and 850GS for riding position, the later being taller by virtue of its longer suspension.

I had it added to an R1200RS. It was the thick end of £600 including labour. As a rough guide I would double the factory fitted price as the parts are always grossly inflated when bought individually.

I don't know of the CC retrofit but would expect it to be very expensive as will need a new LH switch unit as well. I have had a couple, a 750 and now a 850GSA. The 750 needed a new engine after having the cam chain and Cylinder Head replaced. I rejected that bike (which is now for sale at CW Motorcycles - new engine included). The 850 has been fine. I would recommend the GSA over the GS albeit it is fairly heavy as the wind protection and riding position is much better. There is no difference at all between the 750 and 850GS for riding position, the later being taller by virtue of its longer suspension.

YMMV - I found the GSA to be overly bulky and heavy with no more power than the 15-20Kg lighter GS. The distance between seat, pegs and bars are identical as far as I could tell from sitting on both bikes. I sorted wind protection with a Madstad screen kit and MRA screen, which gives complete adjustability both up-down and for tilt.

Will let him know, been looking into it and it apparently requires the left switch gear and the right hand throttle grip , both can be obtained used from E Bay and I may contact another dealer re the coding.

The one he is buying the bike from said it couldn't be retrofitted which didn't sound right.

Whoever said that is lying - what happens if it is faulty! Correct - new left cluster and left and right grips apparently (that’s what I got back in a box - the originals). I’m sure the CC is identical to the one in the 1200s as the switchgear and grips are the same.
What I would recommend is to check for Tyre Pressure monitoring - if it’s not fitted it’s nearly £800 to retrofit to the 850GS. Don’t ask me how I know :blast

I know on my last 1200 gsa the factory forgot to fit all of the ticked and paid for options, sat nav prep cost bmw uk well over twice the factory fit cost, the onboard computer pro option took a one off factory written programme that had to be installed three times and 6 hours plus of workshop time

Brother and little sister

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 353
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 335
YMMV - I found the GSA to be overly bulky and heavy with no more power than the 15-20Kg lighter GS. The distance between seat, pegs and bars are identical as far as I could tell from sitting on both bikes. I sorted wind protection with a Madstad screen kit and MRA screen, which gives complete adjustability both up-down and for tilt.

Any chance of a piccy of Madstad screen plus MRA screen? thks!

Same colour +1,

Is that the original straight side stand?

If so get it swapped for the later curved one, same part number as old. The original was to long and you find if you are not carefull where you park the bike is nearly upright.

My BMW dealer swapped foc!

My friend has nearly 11000 miles on his 750 with no problems. (registered 1st March this year)

I have engine paint problems on mine at 4000 miles, but mechanics perfect. It is being sorted under warranty.

Back
Top Bottom