New clutch slave cylinder - what grease in the bearing?

Mr_S

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm replacing the clutch slave on my 2001 R1150GS (new one is on order, old one destroyed the little bearing in it). I've searched as much as I can and it seems to be recommended that you grease the new bearing. Question is, what type of grease should be used? Regular LM type grease, or something fancier?

Ta!

I thought that beating was a sealed unit - meaning you can't grease it?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Mine certainly isn't any more! :doh

It's hopefully being delivered tomorrow, so I guess I'll find out then

Mine certainly isn't any more! :doh

It's hopefully being delivered tomorrow, so I guess I'll find out then
Yea, let us know

I've taken it you're referring to the bearing inside the slave, not the bearing you can see in the gearbox side...

Hi,

I'm replacing the clutch slave on my 2001 R1150GS (new one is on order, old one destroyed the little bearing in it). I've searched as much as I can and it seems to be recommended that you grease the new bearing. Question is, what type of grease should be used? Regular LM type grease, or something fancier?

Ta!

You'll see a small amount of grease on the slave bearing, but I always add a big dollop of Mobil 1 synthetic grease.

Yea, let us know

I've taken it you're referring to the bearing inside the slave, not the bearing you can see in the gearbox side...

Yep, the bearing in the slave itself - I'll post a pic of it when I'm back home in a couple of days. I removed it about 50 miles after I first heard it squealing - it's destroyed!

Mine was covered in so much die when it failed I could barely see the beating. But I was sure the bearing was a little sealed unit..

But Steptoe is your man

Do you know you should not hold your clutch in at lights etc ??

Preferred method according to the manual is to select neutral and release the clutch lever

Pretty sensible given all the size of the wee bugger

Like Steppers I always add a dollop of EP2 type grease

Mine was covered in so much die when it failed I could barely see the beating. But I was sure the bearing was a little sealed unit..

But Steptoe is your man

Mine has properly disintegrated - I was surprised when I scraped all of the shite off to see how bad it was after just a couple of days (of me noticing it...), I'll whop a picture up on Friday evening!

Do you know you should not hold your clutch in at lights etc ??

Preferred method according to the manual is to select neutral and release the clutch lever

Pretty sensible given all the size of the wee bugger

Like Steppers I always add a dollop of EP2 type grease

Yeah, I try not to as best I can - always worth remembering tho, cheers

Lube the little bearing by forcing in high temp wheel bearing grease.
Push it in with pencil (eraser end) until fresh grease comes out the perimeter of the little bearing.
Wipe off excess.
Do this every 80,000km and you will be trouble free.

My own GS has 365,000km on the original slave.

BTW: I always wait at lights in 1st gear / clutch in, ready to react if required.

Back
Top Bottom