Emailing a large Word document

John Roberts

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
By large I mean 13.5MB, 23 pages, 4500 words and 33 photos according to Word. I'm having difficulty forwarding this to a friend which is strange as I've already sent it to another friend a couple of years ago so I thought it would be a doddle to send it to somebody else, I expected it to be simply a matter of clicking on Forward and entering the next recipient's address and that would be that.

Well, it wasn't. First of all I went to my Sent file in Yahoo mail and clicked on the original email. It came up but only showed the message "Download message and pictures (5.35 MB)"- not the actual message. Also, the size was shown as 5.35MB not 13.5 as quoted by Word. I clicked on the Download ...... message but it doesn't download, well, not in the last 15 minutes or so anyway. I also clicked on the icon Open message in a new window but it won't download there either.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong, please?

I used to use a free utility that patched into Outlook to send a link to a zip.file. Can’t remember what it changed its name to.

But - open a Dropbox account, upload the file to that, go to share. That will produce a link that you e-mail to your recipient.

He clicks on the link and can open or download the file.

It may be just too big for the mailer. Try to compress ("zip") it first. If in windows, ricght-click on it and "add to archive" [I think].

If it doesn't reduce in size sufficiently, then upload to a cloud storage platform somewhere and send your friend a link? (Onedrive, Google drive, Dropbox, etc...)
HTH.

Often it is the recipients that stop it as they have default limits on the size of files they can receive

We sometimes have this problem but for the most part manage to send files much bigger than you are having problems with

Gentlemen, I am amazed. Three replies already. Just look at the times...

Posted at 21:56
1st reply 21:59
2nd reply at 22:00
3rd reply at 22:01

Thank you!

PS Four replies by now.
PS Make that six!

Right, to continue. If I compress it in any way with the recipient need a programme to decompress it to read it?

Just seen Hustler's reply, I hadn't thought of that, it is something I could do but it would be useful to know how to do it seamlessly as it were.

Whoah, I'm being bombarded with replies, I'll take a breather and have a look... :bow

Where can I get these win zip or winrar thingies?

Hang on, wife's just back, I'll have to leave this for now, sorry but I didn't expect such a response so quickly. Many thanks for now.
:beerjug:

zip functionality is built into Windows. If most of the size of the document is pictures, it won't compress much.

Right-click the Word file, 'send to', 'compressed (zip) folder'

Try opening the document on your computer and selecting all.

Open a new document and paste the content in.

Save the new file with a different name.

Close the new file and check file size.

Reason is an original file may contain lots of superfluous information that gets embedded / included in the file.

Good luck

Does the recipient need a Word document to edit or just to view the document? If the latter convert it to a pdf which is likely to be much smaller.

There are a number of online utilities that will do this for free e.g. https://www.sodapdf.com/pdf-converter/

Or use wetransfer.com, it’s FOC, I use it to send massive files.

By large I mean 13.5MB, 23 pages, 4500 words and 33 photos according to Word. I'm having difficulty forwarding this to a friend which is strange as I've already sent it to another friend a couple of years ago so I thought it would be a doddle to send it to somebody else, I expected it to be simply a matter of clicking on Forward and entering the next recipient's address and that would be that.

Well, it wasn't. First of all I went to my Sent file in Yahoo mail and clicked on the original email. It came up but only showed the message "Download message and pictures (5.35 MB)"- not the actual message. Also, the size was shown as 5.35MB not 13.5 as quoted by Word. I clicked on the Download ...... message but it doesn't download, well, not in the last 15 minutes or so anyway. I also clicked on the icon Open message in a new window but it won't download there either.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong, please?

Its the picture file size in the word document. Click on the picture, under the format menu, select Compress Pictures then choose the resolution. Then resave the document. You should at least half the document size.

As has been said the easiest and proper way is to sign up to something like Wetransfer (go for the normal 'free' account).

Place your Word doc. on your desk top [1].

Right click, 'send to' - Compressed (zip) folder.

A 'zipped' folder will now appear next to the original.

Open up Wetransfer, enter the recipients email and click on the upload button to, well, upload the zipped folder.

Click send.

Recipient receives an email with a download link, they download it.

They then right click on the folder, 'extract all' and a duplicate 'unzipped' folder appears for them to open and read/do whatever with.

HTH

Andres

[1] You don't need to work from your desk top, you can do all the above from whatever location you use store your docs, I just prefer working off my desk top.......

Back
Top Bottom