UK to Turkey

Plus 1

Most important thing, do not over complicate things. It’s a series of one day trips back to back, nothing more.

Get on bike

Head towards Turkey

When finished in Turkey turn 180 deg

Head towards uk.

Devote your time to a bit of admin and working out what you want to see en route and in country.

If you take all the advice on here......

A. You’ll end up going in 2043

B. Your wallet will be empty

C. Your bike will weigh 6.2 tonnes

Honestly, just go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What he said +:

Once you've got some practice miles in and am confident riding again decide a maximum number of miles a day you'd be comfortable with (remember riding at 80mph all day on the French peage lets you cover lots of miles but going up and down a mountain pass will be significantly lower).
Decide if you wish to camp or hotel or have a mix. If its hotels then I'd suggest stopping by mid-afternoon to ensure you find one [if you haven't pre-booked as I don't]. (This is a sensible suggestion but I don't always follow it myself as I like to ride all day and stop before I get tired).
You may want to plan all your days point to point but weather can get in the way so be flexible and willing to deviate from a fixed plan if necessary.
Arrange a "spare" day every week for such instances or if you fancy a break or happen to stop at a place you really like and want to spend more time there.

As S92GS states: a bike tour is a series of one day events all tagged together so go, be careful, and have fun.

Final tip: if you need to stop (for a pee for example) and it's late or you're tired or you're in a hurry ALWAYS stop on your own side of the road! If you stop on the other side (UK) you'll possibly take off from this side into oncoming traffic. DAMHIK

Enjoy!

Done it a few times. Take original documents and go for it, at the worst you get fed up and put your bike on a train and come home. Do it just so you can have ridden to Asia. It is a trip full of interesting new sites and definitely worth doing.

I wonder if he was put off because oldbiker only seems to have posted once.

Turkey n back seems like a plan, forgetting any iron butt escapades how many nights have folk taken to get to Istanbul ?

2000 miles each way, we did 1100 back from Radda in Chianti in 2018 in a very comfortable 4 nights with a bit of sightseeing and an indulgent night in Belgium.

Do it,’you want an adventure. No trip is perfect, and the bad the bad stories are the best!

I wonder if he was put off because oldbiker only seems to have posted once.

Turkey n back seems like a plan, forgetting any iron butt escapades how many nights have folk taken to get to Istanbul ?

2000 miles each way, we did 1100 back from Radda in Chianti in 2018 in a very comfortable 4 nights with a bit of sightseeing and an indulgent night in Belgium.

Yep, Looks like " Old Biker " probably was old when he started this thread and didn't last long enough to follow up ?
What size boots did he say he was ?

Looks like a plan, I was going to the alps this summer, with that off, have started pondering 2021, far side of Turkey... and beyond sounds like a plan, just head east. Seems like a visa is not needed of UK citizens to enter Georgia, just leaves Russia and Ukraine for a round the Black sea jaunt

Looks like....Old Biker....... has gone awol.
last time he was on was....20/12/19...:rob

Back
Top Bottom