UK to Turkey

Old_Biker

Reaction score
I am taking up biking after being out of it for 30 years.
I am considering a trip to Turkey after getting the necessary training and confidence back.
Any key suggestions/advice and/or previous post you can refre to me to to guide me through the do's and dont's etc
Thank you

1. Do your IAM test or a couple of sessions with someone like Giles on this forum. If you subscribe, you can pm him.

2. Browse the relevant travel sections on the forum.

3. Go to one of the UKGSer events and have a beer and a blether about your plans.

Also, consider doing both an off road course, and depending upon your mechanical abilities, see if any of your local colleges run courses on motorcycle maintenance.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I recommend i2i training for road work and agree a day or 2 off road training brings on your confidence no end, fun too - Gaz at Adventure Bike Warehouse is up in the Peak District, it’s a great day and GVFM or maybe there’s someone in the Surrey Hills.

If you’re going through Bulgaria, which is excellent, stop at Motocamp Bulgaria where you’ll meet up with fellow Moto travellers, have a great time and get good info for your onward journey.

Best of luck

Don't go on a new GS with wire spoked wheels. :augie

Also, consider doing both an off road course, and depending upon your mechanical abilities, see if any of your local colleges run courses on motorcycle maintenance.

A few years ago Jockser and I rode across Turkey from west to east and back again without needing either off-road experience nor motorcycle maintenance abilities.

We also took in Romania, Bulgaria, Georgia and Armenia for good measure. And I was riding a fourteen year old 1150GS. It is much easier to just go and do it than read some of the shite here that would discourage you from even trying it.

Welcome to the forum.

With all the blather about the DVLA screwing up what’s on people’s licenses, I’d check the entitlement to ride a motorcycle is still on your licence, if it isn’t, save time and effort by retraining with a local school and redo the tests, unless you have cast iron proof you previously passed a test the DVLA won’t give it back.

Next get yourself a a cheap mid sized hack and get a few miles in before you consider a massive global munching adventure bike.

Go to your preferred marques local dealer and test ride a range of machines before spending large wads.

If you need read some inspirational books, Ted Simons whilst a great read was riding an ancient Triumph, Lois Pryce rides an impossibly small Serow, there are books and blogs and YouTube’s and an and an and... for every combination of machine, route and rider.

There are plenty on here who have ridden a good deal further than Turkey, some of us extensively in Europe, far more haven’t left the UK, but there’s a wide variety of experiences, most will not matter a jot to you.

Above all be safe and enjoy.

A few years ago Jockser and I rode across Turkey from west to east and back again without needing either off-road experience nor motorcycle maintenance abilities.

We also took in Romania, Bulgaria, Georgia and Armenia for good measure. And I was riding a fourteen year old 1150GS. It is much easier to just go and do it than read some of the shite here that would discourage you from even trying it.

Fair play, Aidan ... Yer man.said he was back on two wheels after a 30 year lay off! A wee bit of extra training etc may be no bad thing in the circs?

Firstly, do get a bit of general biking experience before you do you commit to a big trip. Getting some advance bike training is a VERY good idea. Remember you'll need travel and breakdown insurance for the trip and make sure it covers all the countries you intend to travel through, especially with the brexit rigmarole mixing everything up.
Now, i'm assuming you're (ahem) a gentleman of mature years. Don't go running off with the idea you need a big bike for such a trip. When we went a couple of years ago my pal had an MT09 which although i thought it was a horrible bike. He did benefit from it being easier to manhandle around as he was then in his mid 60's. We even got talking to a German who was going to Istanbul on a Kymco scooter. The key is to be honest about your abilities and don't plan on doing mega mileage days every day or you will not enjoy it and be tired all the time.

Yep!

:thumb

+1 - ignore all of the neigh sayers and doom and gloom merchants, make sure the bike's in order (including copies of paperwork), get breakdown cover and health cover in place and just do it, you're not attempting to ride across the sahara and you'll never guess what...there are people that can fix bikes outside of the UK you know, so if it breaks down get it recovered and check in to a hotel for a couple of days until it's fixed.

+1 - ignore all of the neigh sayers and doom and gloom merchants, make sure the bike's in order (including copies of paperwork), get breakdown cover and health cover in place and just do it, you're not attempting to ride across the sahara and you'll never guess what...there are people that can fix bikes outside of the UK you know, so if it breaks down get it recovered and check in to a hotel for a couple of days until it's fixed.

+1:thumb - all I would add is if you want to go into Ukraine, take original paperwork, not copies ... I learnt this from bitter experience.

do a shake down run, something simple ish... scotland and back on A roads, that should get you into the swing of things. Then get it packed, booked and take your time, life isn't a race we all get to the end in the end....!

UK-Turkey

Sorry to hijack your thread but have a look at the Honda CB500X I have for sale as it would probably be perfect for what you want. You do not need a big adventure bike travelling on your own and travel light . Worked a lot in Turkey and it`s a great place to visit and people are very helpful. That's from one oldun to another.
Cheers Den

I am taking up biking after being out of it for 30 years.
I am considering a trip to Turkey after getting the necessary training and confidence back.
Any key suggestions/advice

I can only see encouraging, positive posts so far, that are trying to be helpful and answer the questions asked.
:nenau

Watching this thread with interest as it’s been an idea of mine for a while now to do a “big trip” to Turkey and I’m in my early sixties.
It’s encouraging to read all the positive posts regards embarking on such a trip and has as often been said “life is no rehearsal” so I’d say just be sensible, no your limits and just enjoy the whole experience.

Trip to Turkey

I have just read this post with interest . I am of a similar age 65 and have done a number of trips abroad over the last 6 years, up to 4000 miles in two or three weeks sometimes. Although there are a lot of valid comments in this thread ,for me a long motorcycle trip abroad is all about your body and mind as much as the machine.
As we all get older so our body finds it more of a struggle to cope with the demands of being on the motorcycle for a length of time. Also the cumulative effect of day on day of riding can be quite significant and old injuries can be aggravated by the action of motorcycling. So what I am saying is get out and put some miles in travelling around the UK, seeing how you feel, and get used to the bike you are riding and perhaps upgraded with some of the features that make riding more relaxed. For me these are lovely soft seat, soft suspension and cruise control. Would you attempt to 200 mile trek but trying to get fit first ?
Secondly get your mind in the place where you are happy to be travelling, for some of us is not easy to get on the Eurotunnel on a motorcycle for the first time ,or board that ferry and also plan your accommodation a few days in advance as a minimum and linking it to some rest days so you can I have a tour around the area, or go sightseeing or just chill and recuperate both mind and body.
For me the macho image around motorcycling does not fit well, the high speed tearing up the road approach of many motorcyclists is not for me and I am happy just cruising along at a suitable and appropriate speed, often similar to the cars.
Finally a large bike with road presence like a BMW RT or GSA offer comfort whilst on the move, but someone like me of a small stature does find manoeuvring at low speed and pushing it about can be a bit of a challenge. However afterwards psychologically it is great to have overcome these physical challenges!!
Your trip has long been on my bucket list to travel to Turkey and have a cup of coffee sitting at the Bosphorous and then travelling home. Good luck
Fancy a companion!!

Plus 1

Most important thing, do not over complicate things. It’s a series of one day trips back to back, nothing more.

Get on bike

Head towards Turkey

When finished in Turkey turn 180 deg

Head towards uk.

Devote your time to a bit of admin and working out what you want to see en route and in country.

If you take all the advice on here......

A. You’ll end up going in 2043

B. Your wallet will be empty

C. Your bike will weigh 6.2 tonnes

Honestly, just go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't go on a new GS with wire spoked wheels. :augie

WHY...................???
Please qualify/explain your comment as I plan on doing a long trip on exactly that bike, a 2019 R1200GS Rallye TE with wire spoked wheels.

Many thanks.

Back
Top Bottom