GSA800 potential purchase?

Robinyuill

Reaction score
Hi there. My current GSA1200 is getting a bit "big" and a handful to wheel around. It's got all the bits eg high spec, boxes, cruise etc... I've been looking at a 18 plate F800GSA for the future few years. It's only got 2500 miles, one owner from a dealer.
The only things that I've not had much experience of is a chain drive, tubed tyres and the 800 engine. There is a lot of positive talk, "goes forever, indestructible" on these forums but also some questions the reliability of bearings etc.
The 1200 is great, just keep it fuelled and get on it to ride off.... Can you get tubeless rims and things like an adapter to give it cruise for the long trips. I just need a bit of a confidence boost to help me decide one way or the other.
I had a wee shot on the 800 but not enough to give me a true picture.
Thanks and hope to hear from you all soon.
Regards Robin.

F series Rotax engined bikes are bullet proof ( I've had 8 so far)
Chains no problems..
I had a rear wheel bearing fail at 46k miles on one, but at that mileage who can complain.
Loads of high mileage bikes around, the 650GS, 700GS & 800GS /A all share the same engine.
The 800 having slightly more power, spoked wheels & tubed tyres..

Great bikes..

He did well takin that snap at over 40 mph Ash.

I certainly did Mick..
Just glad it was on the final part of my 13 days away touring Portugal and Spain....

Love the F series.. :kissy2

F series Rotax engined bikes are bullet proof ( I've had 8 so far)
Chains no problems..
I had a rear wheel bearing fail at 46k miles on one, but at that mileage who can complain.

It did make a mess of the hub & sprocket carrier though, so if it wasn't for your brilliant purchasing skills it would have made a big dent in one's pocket to replace the whole wheel and sprocket carrier and brake disc

I suppose, it depends on how you intend to use it. I never rode an R1200 but one of my work colleagues had a old 4-cyl 750 Kawa and swapped it for F800GT (same engine, different tune) and finds the engine on his 800 tops out a bit quicker than the Kawa. Yet he still seems to enjoy it. I find my 800GS powerful enough, but I ride like a granny these days. :) Yes, the bearings have been mentioned a few times, and not in a good way, the early ones had issues with the chain too. Spoked wheels/inner tubes are a pain, particularly if you're only using your bike only on the road. Like all bikes, they have their quirks, but I think they are good machines overall.

Also, all these are all replaceable items if you are bothered. Bearings are dirt cheap and the chain is not expensive. You may want to look into F700GS instead, that one comes with the same engine ("de-tuned", I believe) but with alloys?

Maybe we should do a bike swap for a while... :) [Joking mate, I probably couldn't afford to fix your one if I scratched it, so wouldn't dream of riding it.] However, if there is anything you want to check out "in real life", give me a shout, mine is a bit older but should be a good example.

Good luck with the search.

It did make a mess of the hub & sprocket carrier though, so if it wasn't for your brilliant purchasing skills it would have made a big dent in one's pocket to replace the whole wheel and sprocket carrier and brake disc

But that could happen on any bike JB..

Hopefully it won't happen again anytime soon.. ;)

I had a 2007 r1200gs and swapped to a 2013 F800gs in May this year. I've done about 6000 miles on it so far and I'm a big fan.

Had a puncture which was more of an issue to sort as I couldn't just plug it. It needed a new tube. So that isn't as easy to deal with.

Lubing, cleaning and tensioning the chain doesn't seem to take any longer as part of a bike clean.

WAY cheaper to maintain and service. I had a fault on the final drive and the clutch was done on my 1200,the quote for repair was over 1500.

Had to change the chain and sprocket on the 800. Cost 100 and did it myself in an hour or so.

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom