V50 Monza saga

c13pep

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Currently fighting with DVLA trying to get my Monza registered but coming up against a brick wall of beaurocracy
The bike has been restored by me from boxes and is up and running with clearly visible frame and engine numbers that have been inspected by the DVLA. Unfortunately their data does not correspond to my bike or the reg number that it came with.
They have issued a new 17 digit VIN that must be stamped on my frame by a garage/dealer followed by a signature and company stamp on the DVLA paperwork. So far I have contacted 30+ garages/dealers all of whom refused to do the job
I have spread my story across various forums in order to gain as much input as possible
Current possibilities are
1. keep looking for a garage/dealer to do the job
2. find another frame with V5c and sod the lot of them
As further confusion HPI have told me that DVLA only have a record of frame numbers (no prefix letters) thus my numbers have 8 listings against them one being a Land Rover that was scrapped years ago also 2 Moto Guzzis
When my reg number is run thro` HPI the VIN is shown as a non matching alert :confused:
All input greatly appreciated

CHRIS P

I don't like the idea of re-stamping a VIN, if the original is correct as you understand it. Are you sure, given the background, that numbers haven't been 'interfered' with, or cloned at some stage in it's life?

Are you an MG club member? Can MGHQ help clarify?

Here is a list of VINs used to identify your frame ............. https://www.mgcn.nl/database/mg-framenummers

Alternatively, if you have no other options available that may persuade DVLA, how about .......... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-AK8...ENX0B3JES3B&psc=1&refRID=Q52ENR8TZENX0B3JES3B

FWIW, check that it is the actual frame number that you submitted to DVLA.
When I went about UK registering my NTX650, I erroneously submitted the homologation number and had a similar experience to yours.
I couldn't believe it, but the throttle cables were obscuring the actual frame number, and it was less distinct than the homologation one.
Once I sent the correct number, I needed to get it inspected but all went well.

The DVLA inspector accepted that all numbers were original as they left the factory and that the bike was substantially all age correct parts. The bike was MOT tested using the same frame number and all was well, the major problem appears to be that DVLA have only a record of the five numbers of the VIN and without the PE prefix then the number is not unique. The other problem is that they don`t seem to want to update their database for some reason. It`s all a bit frustrating to say the least, but interestingly they say that my current MOT can be changed to read their new 17 digit VIN:eek:
I know my frame number is correct for the bike with even the factory still having it recorded in their archive but unfortunately they stopped recording engine numbers after 1967. If I could have gotten the full Certificate of Origin with all major numbers recorded then I may have been able to show that to DVLA but alas it was not to be. I have ordered a dating certificate from MG Club UK but not sure how this will get me past their intransigence plus Ebay can supply https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEIMM-Mo...498233?hash=item3af8a26ff9:g:2wkAAOSwR2RaGvUf

CHRIS P

The DVLA have now said that I can stamp my own frame and then get a garage to verify that the new VIN is clear and permanent so some progress. I may have the only Monza with two VIN numbers shortly so maybe that will make it unique:bow:rolleyes:

CHRIS P

If DVLA are saying you can stamp the VIN do it on the opposite side of the frame /headstock to the original numbers (so as to leave them unobscured for the future ) and make sure that any paperwork relating to the new numbers stay with the bike docs .

Restamping used to be fairly common as replacement factory supplied frames came with no numbers and were then dealer stamped when an accident damaged bike was rebuilt, as a ex police vehicle examiner and having completed autocrime courses we used to regularly see legitimate vehicles with authorised DVLA VIN numbers that looked as if they had been done by a kid with a lump hammer.

It is also possible to do it yourself and get very good results ................. seen numerous ringed vehicles where the VIN was virtually indistinguishable from genuine

The original DVLA letter said that the number had to be stamped on the right hand side of the headstock, which suits me as I have already had to scrape off the new powdercoating on that side to expose the original frame number. At the minute the headstock looks in a sorry state but once this saga has ended then I will likely thinly paint over all the numbers but still leave them readable as required for the MOT.
I intend to copy all the DVLA paperwork so that one set can go with the bike and the other set I will retain for future reference, the same will happen with all my photos
The major worry is stamping 17 digits in a straight line :eek:

CHRIS P

The DVLA have now said that I can stamp my own frame and then get a garage to verify that the new VIN is clear and permanent so some progress. I may have the only Monza with two VIN numbers shortly so maybe that will make it unique:bow:rolleyes:

CHRIS P

Stamped? or marked in one or more approved methods??

Vins these days can be pin scribed /stamped -Laser etched / stamped or good old single letter / symbol stamped.

Rather than go and have an whole new number stamped, can you not add the required prefix(s) to your original vin??

Stamped? or marked in one or more approved methods??

Vins these days can be pin scribed /stamped -Laser etched / stamped or good old single letter / symbol stamped.

Rather than go and have an whole new number stamped, can you not add the required prefix(s) to your original vin??

The DVLA have said that my bike will only be registered when their newly allocated 17 digit VIN is stamped on the frame and independently verified
The new VIN begins with the letters DVLASWA plus 10 more digits so unlike normal VINS it doesn`t show country of manufacture for instance and may never be accepted for export.
On the plus side it will get an age related plate after all this messing about, whether I will keep it remains to be seen

CHRIS P

To get the numbers level first obtain your stamps and then clamp either a couple of bits of steel bar or even wood to the headstock,
Make sure they are parallel and the correct width for your stamp and then mark on them where each number will be and then stamp them.
Practice first on a bit of scrap steel as to how hard you need to hit the stamp so that you do it right first hit , get it wrong and double stamping looks both sh#te and dodgy.
Also get the largest stamps you can as it will look better and be more legible

Restamping used to be fairly common as as a ex police vehicle examiner and having completed autocrime courses we used to regularly see legitimate vehicles with authorised DVLA VIN numbers that looked as if they had been done by a kid with a lump hammer.

Interesting and amusing to read that, as my 1981 GL1100 has several sets of hand stamped numbers on the engine block and frame, consisting of letters LVLO followed by numbers. The engine ones are pretty good,almost looking machine or block stamped, but the frame ones look like an arthritic chimp did them. :D

Remember the heady per internet days when MCN classifieds were full of bike breaker adverts, featuring stolen/recovered projects?

Hi Chris .... don't be stamping another number in your frame.

I'm in Doncaster, I can come and have a look for you if you want, to confirm you have the original frame number and that it's not been tampered with.

I'm retired now, but spent ten years as an examiner in the Stolen Vehicle Squad, South Yorkshire Police. This sort of stuff was my bread and butter ;)

I'll PM you my 'phone number.

Micky
:beerjug:

Edit ... if you did have to go the re-stamping way then I have a full set of stamps, but I reckon this has to be the very last option.

Back
Top Bottom