First ride on the 114 roadking special

Flipfly

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Cold today but figured I should see what the bike rides like.

Short version.......it’s shit :D

Runs too lean, handles weird, the gearbox reminds me of the 1150 GSA and the suspension is inadequate for anything more than the slightest of lumps.

I’m really quite pleased with it and fulfils my expectations 100% :thumb

Cold today but figured I should see what the bike rides like.

Short version.......it’s shit :D

Runs too lean, handles weird, the gearbox reminds me of the 1150 GSA and the suspension is inadequate for anything more than the slightest of lumps.

I’m really quite pleased with it and fulfils my expectations 100% :thumb

Check the rear air shocks have the correct pressure. I remember my first Harley which was a RK.
I bought it from the Stockport dealership in 2004 and did about 3k before I realised there was no air in the rear shocks,
and yes it had been back in for a service at 500 miles and wasn't checked.:blast
Being my first Harley I knew no different. When they pumped up the shocks it was better but not fantastic.
But that's Harley's.:)
I'm currently running an imported RK Classic bought second hand and it came with well sorted suspension.
It therefore handles and runs far better than my first one. The Merkins seem to get their bikes sorted as a matter of course
as they've a wealth of independent garages who are reasonably priced and know their stuff.

Will Burrows nr Preston is worth a call....http://www.willburrowmotorcycles.com/

Enjoy the bike,:thumb2... they get under your skin (apologies for the cringeworthy cliché :D).

Not air shocks on the RKS. Preload adjustment only via a dial on the right sided shock.

Check the rear air shocks have the correct pressure. I remember my first Harley which was a RK.
I bought it from the Stockport dealership in 2004 and did about 3k before I realised there was no air in the rear shocks,
and yes it had been back in for a service at 500 miles and wasn't checked.:blast
Being my first Harley I knew no different. When they pumped up the shocks it was better but not fantastic.
But that's Harley's.:)
I'm currently running an imported RK Classic bought second hand and it came with well sorted suspension.
It therefore handles and runs far better than my first one. The Merkins seem to get their bikes sorted as a matter of course
as they've a wealth of independent garages who are reasonably priced and know their stuff.

Will Burrows nr Preston is worth a call....http://www.willburrowmotorcycles.com/

Enjoy the bike,:thumb2... they get under your skin (apologies for the cringeworthy cliché :D).

No air in the new bikes rear shocks.

Honestly I love it as it is, it’s great for it faults, a jap cruiser would be better, but worse because of it.

I know some hate the M8, but it’s still as shit as Harleys always have been and has absolute gobs of umph when required.

No air in the new bikes rear shocks.

Honestly I love it as it is, it’s great for it faults, a jap cruiser would be better, but worse because of it.

I know some hate the M8, but it’s still as shit as Harleys always have been and has absolute gobs of umph when required.

Sorry I didn't know they'd done away with air shocks. I'm too old school for my own good at times.:blast

Anyway, enjoy 't bike.:thumb2

Back
Top Bottom