BMW GS TWINCAM REAR SHOCK WITHOUT PRELOAD ADJUSTER

Benhur Malta

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Guys,

I know I am cheap, but the shock i am looking at costs 300 eur less without a remote preload adjuster...Does anyone have any experience with aftermarket rear shocks (not esa) which need to be adjusted with a C spanner. i dont care if it is a pain, or uncomfortable, as long as it can be set once and forgotten...

thanks

R.

Ease of adjustment depends on how much space there is around the top of the shock. On a GS there is much more space than on most bikes so it should be fairly easy

Guys,

I know I am cheap, but the shock i am looking at costs 300 eur less without a remote preload adjuster...Does anyone have any experience with aftermarket rear shocks (not esa) which need to be adjusted with a C spanner. i dont care if it is a pain, or uncomfortable, as long as it can be set once and forgotten...

thanks

R.

I had good experience with a hyperpro. Not that tough to change the preload with a c spanner.

Out of interest, what shock are you considering, and what adjustability?

Fwiw Hyperpro comes with a progressive rather than a linear spring

Out of interest, what shock are you considering, and what adjustability?

Fwiw Hyperpro comes with a progressive rather than a linear spring

i have found an ohlins shock with a decent price....its new and i can get it set up for my weight....but the difference between c spanner and remote hydraulic preload adjustment is 300 euros...

R.

Sounds good. Important to get it sprung correctly

Also consider the Nitron - similar quality to Ohlins but without the same premium price. They build to spec

https://ruggedroads.co.uk/epages/00...7e-8207-580e14387ec5/Products/"NTBKW 02S-HPA"

Rugged Roads tends ot be cheapest for them. They do one without the HPA (see Rugged Roads website) and another with separate compression damping (which is also available with and without HPA).

The HPA is more useful than I thought - when I use topbox I can just turn the adjuster as with OEM shock

if you ride on your own with a constant weight then the preload adjuster is a waste of space....
if you ride with a passenger and or luggage at sporadic intervals the hydraulic adjust is a pain as it takes some 50 million turns

if you ride fast and weight >100 kg then the spring most suggest will be by 30 to 50 nm too little. Mine is on a 175nm and is soft and plush, stock is around 140 and many aftermarket manu recco to go softer than stock

Back
Top Bottom