Discs

stick

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anyone else suffering from front and rear disc rust and sticking pads .
I ask as every time I wash the bike the discs go orange with rust and the pads stick on the disc , this is overnight / 2 days max

The bike is washed and dried with a bike dryer , and kept in a heated garage .:nenau

The strange thing is the dealer said not to wash the discs with any cleaners and only use water (cold) WTF …

I knew it ...should have bought a parts catcher …… Tannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngo ………..No

i always take my mighty steed for 1000 metre blast after i have washed and used a bike dryer. Unheated garage and discs never rusty.

For rust to occur you need oxygen, water and steel. By riding the bike and dabbing the brakes the water is removed.

Are you using an aggressive wheel cleaner / acid of some sort? I use ordinary car shampoo and haven't experienced any problems ... no hair dryer and no heat in my garage!

i always take my mighty steed for 1000 metre blast after i have washed and used a bike dryer. Unheated garage and discs never rusty.

For rust to occur you need oxygen, water and steel. By riding the bike and dabbing the brakes the water is removed.

Thanks , but never need to do that before the new Hayes brakes , and never had this issue , just did as I have always done , wash, dry, leave…...

Are you using an aggressive wheel cleaner / acid of some sort? I use ordinary car shampoo and haven't experienced any problems ... no hair dryer and no heat in my garage!

No , cleaner I use is neutral , and this is the same as I have always done .
I have found that if I use a rag with some WD40 on after I have washed and dried it stops , but that not right..

That avatar need a dryer lol

Anyone else suffering from front and rear disc rust and sticking pads .
I ask as every time I wash the bike the discs go orange with rust and the pads stick on the disc , this is overnight / 2 days max

The bike is washed and dried with a bike dryer , and kept in a heated garage .:nenau

The strange thing is the dealer said not to wash the discs with any cleaners and only use water (cold) WTF …

I knew it ...should have bought a parts catcher …… Tannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngo ………..No

If you dry thoroughly they will not rust, you need water to be present for rust to happen.

If you dry thoroughly they will not rust, you need water to be present for rust to happen.

I know that , but before I did not need to dry them , the old 2016 bike never rusted the discs , the 1250 does .
I appreciate the post but that just fookin obvious :beerjug:
I will add , no shit sherlock .:D

Yep , dried , hot air dryer , rotated the wheel , direct the air to the calipers , rotate again...…….etc etc
Also never need to do it before , hence the post.

If everything is dry then they will not rust, if they are still rusting then quite simply they are not dry - or someone must be creeping into you garage a night and spraying them with hydrogen peroxide solution!

If everything is dry then they will not rust, if they are still rusting then quite simply they are not dry - or someone must be creeping into you garage a night and spraying them with hydrogen peroxide solution!

I hope not . The last bike never did this , so I cannot see why now this happens, same conditions different results …..and I never went to the same extreme , just washed its dried it and never concentrated on the brakes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgee3IGYZsU

I hope not . The last bike never did this , so I cannot see why now this happens, same conditions different results …..

Maybe the atmosphere in your heated garage has changed, chemical reactions increase with increasing temperature - heated garage alone is a bad idea, if you heat you must also make sure the humidity is kept very low or you will make matters worse.

Putting a cold bike into a warm humid garage is very bad.

Maybe the atmosphere in your heated garage has changed, chemical reactions increase with increasing temperature - heated garage alone is a bad idea, if you heat you must also make sure the humidity is kept very low or you will make matters worse.

Putting a cold bike into a warm humid garage is very bad.

Okay, my riding mate has the same issue , different garage , he is a lazy sod , no dryer , no heating , not connected to the house . So the collective result does not tally, so I would choose a different datum for your thoughts .
I cant see why apart from perhaps the change of pads from the original Brembro to the Hayes is the only difference .
My garage is connected to the house with the central heating so the there is no humidity as its an integral , and well insulated area.. hmmmmm appreciated your thoughts tho :thumb

But as said before the other bikes never did this , same garage , same routine , same everything apart from the rust and sticking pads .

Stick, sounds like they are using a slightly different material for the discs with the Hayes brakes, could have more iron content, maybe this is why the brakes are better than the 1200 Brembo’s.
However my 1250 discs are okay and behaving just like the old Brembo 1200 brakes re no rust. I brush clean with Doc100, then jet wash, then hand-wash with car shampoo, then hose pipe rinse, then dry with the blow drier thingy, and lastly a short run 300 yards /metres up the road and back with both brakes on, when I get back the discs are hot, the I put it to bed, in a garage like yours.

Stick, sounds like they are using a slightly different material for the discs with the Hayes brakes, could have more iron content, maybe this is why the brakes are better than the 1200 Brembo’s.
However my 1250 discs are okay and behaving just like the old Brembo 1200 brakes re no rust. I brush clean with Doc100, then jet wash, then hand-wash with car shampoo, then hose pipe rinse, then dry with the blow drier thingy, and lastly a short run 300 yards /metres up the road and back with both brakes on, when I get back the discs are hot, the I put it to bed, in a garage like yours.

Cheers , I will give that a try , but never had to do this before , and agree perhaps the disc material / pad materials are different , I have used three sets of pads front and two rear at 8000 miles so maybe the discs are worn, I don't know but its not as it was with the last 1200 and this never became an issue jut washed , not always dried and put in the garage .. doing my head in at the moment due to the dealer saying i'm using a cleaner on the wheels / brakes and not just water , I have even looked in the manual ffs lol:beerjug::beer:

R1250 GSA. Similar garage conditions. What he said!

Sintered pads have metal in them. Dry the bloody disks with a towel or something after washing. That's always worked for me.

Sounds like all of your riding is on the track :D

They are bloody cracking anchors on the 1250 though, sure you’d agree, the best that I have had on any GS.

:thumb

I am on my 5th 1200GS since 2005, the only time discs have ever shown rust and the pads stuck is when put away wet - rust simply cannot happen without water or some other electrolyte - it’s science innit :)

Back
Top Bottom