Optimate 4 glitch !!

newbuild100

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
18 plate 1200 LC.
Folks, a few days ago i purchased the above charger with the little lead to plug into the socket near the dash. Im sure the charger is ok and its definitely set on the canbus mode. I plugged everything in yesterday etc etc but twice in the night the bike alarm went off (Bleeping and indicators flashing).

It seems to be ok now (well ive not heard an more murmers out of the bike)

Has anyone had this before and whats you opinions folks

will be flashing green on the optimate its registering ,even orange, to say it is charging. If its flashing red it is not working correctly, so when your battery is getting low, there maybe insufficient power which might be setting of the alarm . Alarms are a nightmare for discharging batteries, when the bike is stood still a while

Thanks folks. well two days later and the bike alarm hasnt sounded off again so Im guessing things are now ok (Top right and top left green lights on so i guess thats ok !)
thanks again

I too bought an Optimate 4 Canbus version and put my 2019 1250 GS Exclusive on charge via the power socket about 4 weeks ago. Came to fire up the bike today - dead as a dodo; can't even unlock the steering.
Battery now out of the bike and being charged directly (hopefully). Anyone else had similar problem or any advice?

Thanks

I've used an Optimate 4 on both my bikes but do not use the canbus option, choosing instead to install the fused pigtail that comes with it and have never had any problems. I also use the pigtail to power my Keis heated jacket and my Airman pump. The OE BMW alarm is a waste on money IMO. I had it on my 1st GS and it was as much use as tits on a fish, better to spend the money on a decent chain & lock and a Xenon disc lock alarm with is much louder.

Best to wire attachment connector direct to battery, then just plug in when bike is not being used.

Back
Top Bottom