Ideas Please:

We were in Zion in April 2018, 28c. Bryce, the next day, -5c, snowing, roads closed and wind chill making it feel much colder. Pack layers, and plenty of them. :rob

I've never been, but the bits I've read point towards a really nice convertible, with all the accoutriments.

300 miles north of Vegas to Bruce Canyon it’s 2 degrees 300 mikes south to say Phoenix it’s 22 degrees - I’ll head south if need be..

Thanks for all the great ideas !

300 miles north of Vegas to Bruce Canyon it’s 2 degrees 300 mikes south to say Phoenix it’s 22 degrees - I’ll head south if need be..

Thanks for all the great ideas !

If you do that then get to Phoenix, hang a left and ride via Apache Junction to the Apache Trail. Stop in Tortilla Flat for a beer then take the bike for a spot of MDB on the easy dirt road.

1b7a7d87beacb85aadce024e99cf18b8.plist

Dirt bit shown by red bars.

Easy riding, even on an HD

2f23a79573b4f1d0b7466ba38789af25.plist

Which ever way you go, keep an eye on the weather as it can get cold at altitude. GC, Zion and Bryce are high and will have snow but the roads will probably be OK.

My route of choice given good weather would be get across Hoover Dam and then up through the Valley of Fire towards and through Zion.

Head North to Bryce then on Hwy 12 to Capitol Reef NP before heading south on 95 to Mexican Hat and Monument Valley. This is my single favourite days riding anywhere in the US as the scenery is simply jaw dropping and you are right up close and personal with it.

Through Monument Valley and smash it back to Vegas.

16 in Zion today - leave Wednesday - so heading up to Zion unless the weather has a turn...

Going up via Valley of Fire

16 in Zion today - leave Wednesday - so heading up to Zion unless the weather has a turn...

Going up via Valley of Fire

Hope it's cooler than the summer. I saw 51 degrees C in there in 2016 and it was like riding in a fan oven.

There is a great little Ice Cream/Burger bar on you left in the small town just before you hit I15. Can't remember the name of it but it's a white building and good food.

I15 is a surprisingly nice ride when you pass Mesquite and into Arizona as it winds and climbs up a couple of thousand feet.

Kanab is a good place to stay which is the far side of Zion. Lot's of motels, bars etc.

I was going to suggest Zion and Bryce Canyon too, but the're too cold in January if travelling by bike IMHO. Both a stunningly beautiful though and I'd go there anyway, just by car instead :bow

The Burr Trail is beautiful too.

Might be a bit far but head north into Utah after the GC and ride up the Burr Trail then via Bryce Canyon and Zion National Park.

We stayed in Boulder, at the top of the Burr Trail and it was beautiful :

You guys trying to kill him? It may well be 0 degrees up there this time of the year. Riding my DR650 up and through Boulder from Torrey a few years ago there was enough heavy blowing snow that I wasn't sure I would make it, and that was in early April.

You guys trying to kill him? It may well be 0 degrees up there this time of the year. Riding my DR650 up and through Boulder from Torrey a few years ago there was enough heavy blowing snow that I wasn't sure I would make it, and that was in early April.

Well I was there this time last year and it was 18 degrees during the day.That’s 64 to you :)

Well I suppose it varies, after all it is weather.
OK just checking Boulder UT weather on my phone app now.............. Wednesday high 1, low -7. Thursday improves to 4 and -6. Brrrrr

I’m lucky - the weather gods are smiling - I’m leaving Vegas at 11:00 going to follow Bilcos advice and loop up the Valley of Fire to Mesquite - then I15 to Springdale in Zion.. tomorrow I’ll do some of the NP roads as they are open to private traffic - just checked....

I can then decide where Thursday night shall be.... just need to leave enough time to get back on Saturday... my original plan to loop over GC and back to Vegas via Kingsman R66 has been scrapped... too far in three days...

Just been looking at this again....Wednesday to Springdale - Thursday morning in the park - then PM to Flagstaff....Friday Grand Canyon South Rim and R66 to Kingman....Saturday back to Airport...

Umm

Nah fuck it too much freeway time...

I’ll stick to the north, and explore Bryce Canyon and the North Rim....

....Nah fuck it too much freeway time...

I’ll stick to the north, and explore Bryce Canyon and the North Rim....

North Rim is likely closed for the season.

Springdale is nice - I was looking at heading up to Bryce but it’s brutal cold up there minus 6 today - I’ll stick lower down where it is ace 12-15 degrees..

Yes Springdale is a nice little town. While you're right there in Zion be sure to hike up to the top of Angles Landing.

In two days I’ve had 22 degrees and -3 ..... oh what fun.

Attachments

• A2AA1BD3-C8AD-4DED-A2F6-19BF0A9D3F4B.jpeg
    A2AA1BD3-C8AD-4DED-A2F6-19BF0A9D3F4B.jpeg
    83.2 KB · Views: 145
  • A58003BF-CFAC-4E8A-90DB-83D607F843B9.jpeg
    A58003BF-CFAC-4E8A-90DB-83D607F843B9.jpeg
    69.9 KB · Views: 160
  • C376AA69-A8EE-4FA5-A823-114FF2D92847.jpeg
    C376AA69-A8EE-4FA5-A823-114FF2D92847.jpeg
    162.5 KB · Views: 149

Back
Top Bottom