Opinel Camping cook set knives

Wapping

Reaction score
They are not cheap but they are well made. The whole set comes with quite a nice wooden chopping board and a fibre ‘table cloth’, everything wrapping up quite cleverly into a sort of envelope for carrying about.

The knives are sharp! The largest one is pretty big too, so you could use it as a bread knife or for carving up steaks.

Yes, you could buy three separate items from TKMax for a lot less and bung them in a Tuppaware box but that’s not the point. Sometimes, it’s just nice to have something that’s nice for the sake of it being nice. That they’ll last for years, is just a bonus.

https://uk.knivesandtools.eu/en/pt/...JqEYTWXO3eVv1Dg1qCm3xjSYxMPnZQBRoC3xYQAvD_BwE

Available from all the usual sellers.

Shouldn't this be in the caravanning section?

I don’t know, will you be getting a set for yours? Be sure to share some pictures when you do. Many bods on this site like pictures, it saves them moving their mouths to the written words.

To drive the piss boiled brigade to bursting point, I have a Laguiole knife that only comes out for picnics. I have though used it to cut the surplus end rubber off a Stop’n’Go plug, just to confirm my hands-on (don’t mind getting dirty) bikermate credentials.

Caravan? Only plebs own caravans. Wapping has a motorhome where quality knives are a prerequisite 😀

I suspect the knives in our motorhome are far sharper than the ones in the kitchen at home but I only use them for pricking sausages and cutting baguettes so I can’t be certain.

I suspect the knives in our motorhome are far sharper than the ones in the kitchen at home but I only use them for pricking sausages and cutting baguettes so I can’t be certain.

An interesting question you have posed there. Something to ponder on over the winter months. :thumb

An interesting question you have posed there. Something to ponder on over the winter months. :thumb

Indeed. :D

Quite apart from the fact that sausages should be pricked with a fork rather than a knife, do you prick them lengthwise, or across in rows?
Equidistant pricks, or irregular?
One "side" only, or several?

Then on to the baguette.
Baguettes should really only ever be torn to length, and torn open lengthwise.
Discuss. :D

The fork is the only pricker tool to use. Random hits versus organised rows? Will depend on the quantity (and sometimes the quality) of neck oil consumed, manual dexterity and the chef’s need to visit the optician’s.

Spot on about the baguette.

Indeed. :D
Then on to the baguette.
Baguettes should really only ever be torn to length, and torn open lengthwise.
Discuss. :D

But should the lengthwise tear be vertically from top to bottom or horizontally from side to side?

Personally I prefer the vertical tear, keeping a 'hinge' intact at the bottom, so that gravity keeps everything in place

But should the lengthwise tear be vertically from top to bottom or horizontally from side to side?

Erm...think about that one. :augie

There's only one lengthwise measure....from rounded tip to rounded tip....but the action is done with the baguette held horizontally.

You are quite correct about the "hinge" though. :D :thumb

Only on UKGSer could which way a baguette gets torn open become so overcomplicated and confusing. :D :D

One of the benefits brought about by Brexit is we’ll be allowed to use our own word for the much loved cylindrical doughy delight, rather than be dictated to by the EU.

Can’t wait...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Erm...think about that one. :augie

There's only one lengthwise measure....from rounded tip to rounded tip....but the action is done with the baguette held horizontally.

You are quite correct about the "hinge" though. :D :thumb

Not strictly true old chap, please refer to my diagram below..
39ae38ff4eae685eae9a82c5f6509449.jpg

One of the benefits brought about by Brexit is we’ll be allowed to use our own word for the much loved cylindrical doughy delight, rather than be dictated to by the EU.

Can’t wait...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's another six months (or pages) worth of debate and confusion.....what shall we name it? :nenau :D :augie

Back
Top Bottom