Impossible question - when do ferries fill up

Rasher

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I know this is a question that cannot be accurately answered, however I am sure many here have booked Ferries at different times, or been disappointed when leaving it too late.

I have a number of possible trips lining up next year, but lots of other commitments (plus the usual will I / won't I have any work -and with the conservatives trying very hard to make sure all UK IT work goes to India, each year it become less likely I will have a job)

My thoughts are maybe to see how things are around May, and if all is good try and book an early September trip to the Pico's - is this a crazy plan, would I have to book now for such a trip?

I have no idea - but I am sure some of you have had success or disappointment in the past.

Of course another option is to place a deposit and accept I might lose it, but I may be "taking" friends along and therefore don't want to owe half a dozen deposits or trash anyone elses trip plans.

Cheers in advance.

I know this is a question that cannot be accurately answered, however I am sure many here have booked Ferries at different times, or been disappointed when leaving it too late.

I have a number of possible trips lining up next year, but lots of other commitments (plus the usual will I / won't I have any work -and with the conservatives trying very hard to make sure all UK IT work goes to India, each year it become less likely I will have a job)

My thoughts are maybe to see how things are around May, and if all is good try and book an early September trip to the Pico's - is this a crazy plan, would I have to book now for such a trip?

I have no idea - but I am sure some of you have had success or disappointment in the past.

Of course another option is to place a deposit and accept I might lose it, but I may be "taking" friends along and therefore don't want to owe half a dozen deposits or trash anyone elses trip plans.

Cheers in advance.

They fill up very quickly I booked last month for may /June and most spaces taken depends on date but they go quick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There 2 big vintage bike events in the Picos in late September and early October, I’m booked. Bike spaces seem to go soon ish especially at the weekends

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would say to book as soon as you can - and pay a flexible fare rate so you cancel or change if need be without too much financial penalty....

It's a bit like booking hotel rooms for groups. I normally use booking.com and block book hotels on rates that have free cancellation. 95% of the time, I use them, but for the 5% of times when circumstances dictate change, it's worth it.

Although I don't personally use them any more (as I live in Spain), those that I take on tour do. As an aside, this year, I will be taking the ferry from Plym to Sant; I am riding up through France in the spring, the rest is a long story.

So this is what I have learned from four years of "the boys" bookings:

1) Booking in advance avoids disappointment. At worst you will only lose 25% (deposit) if you have to change plans.

2) 1. is especially important if you are a group.

3) 1. is not so important if you are 1 rider, but as mentioned above there will be dates when; for love nor money. However, if, like me, you are fussy about the quality of your cabin or where you sleep, see 1. above.

4) 1 + 2 + 3 is a function of, and proportional to, your flexibility.

5) September is very popular with bikers, August and July with other vehicles but also bikers.

We are (mostly) a group of "inflexibles", ergo, we all booked our ferries the day the bookings opened for reasons 1, 2 + 4.

Last year, one of our number broke his ankle and cancelled his ferry in about Apr/May but then rebooked himself on the same ferry in June/Jul (for mid Sept). Another, whom we nickname "lastminute.com", has, on 3 ocasions now, booked his ferry in Jun/Jul but, as I say, has to settle for whatever accommodation is available. As he now lives in Portugal, we no longer have to be on tenterhooks to know whether he is joining us.

That is about as helpful as I can be.

if you can be flexible with your dates,you will get a ferry. However ,as mentioned above when you have your travel dates,just book. events like MotoGP rounds, Harley Davidson conventions, european classic bike/car rounds, bank holidays etc etc ,all fill up early.

We scraped on a ferry Plymouth to Santander return when booked in January for a September crossing. 4 bikes.

If you're on your own you have a better chance. The Pont Aven has something like 210 bike places, however, the other boat only has around 70 so, don't just choose your dates, also choose which crossing with the boat which you have better chance of getting on.

Thanks all, I think my issue is I need to use Cap Finestre for one way and the Aven for the other, can be flexible on week we go, I believe even Late September is OK for riding the Pico's, so maybe can get a booking sorted in early May, and if not I will just have to go to the Alps instead, definitely a first world problem!

Go to the Picos..........relatively empty roads, great views, cheap hotels great food........

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Go to both and avoid the ferry?:nenau

My mind works in mysterious ways...

I expected a thread about Ferries filling up, read the post and thought I get the dilemma but was struggling to make the link to solving that by know when a ferry fills up - Part way through reading it a 3rd time the penny dropped.

Anyway I’ve got dash I’ve an important operation to perform first thing...

With the Brexit debacle they may not fill up as quick this year as Bonking Boris will be struggling to get Brexit done any time soon, the bloke is a pathological Liar, don't want to get into Politics per-se, but I can see it dragging on for quite a while.

The ferries use the same policy as airlines .... the nearer you get to a sailing the price goes up. Get several 'hits' of interested on a particular sailing then the price goes up!

I have ITX Business rates with P&O North Sea Ferries, Hull to Rotterdam/Zeebrugge/return.

My prices are fixed, they wont vary, P&O's will. My bookings are amendable at no cost. There is a cancellation fee though.

If you know for definite your sailing dates, numbers etc. then book early with P&O for the best deals.

I can't (read, not prepared to) search for your cheapest alternatives, my prices aren't on a computer where you can punch in the variables, but on reams of actual paper I have to sift through. High Season for 2020 is 1st July to 6th September. Sailing during this time it is more expensive to sail on a Friday or Saturday. There are pockets of dates at various times that attract a surcharge. Bank Holidays, school holidays .... it's all at the whim of the tides, winds, barometric pressure and stars as far as P&O are concerned :eek:

Prices for sailings to Rotterdam or Zeebrugge are now different, as is the cost of two or four berth cabins. They used to be the same, so I would always put Peeps in to a four berth cabin when there was two sailing. More room for gear and saves climbing ladders up to bunks :rob

Hope this helps :beerjug:

Hope this helps :beerjug:

It does thanks, although PO don't sail to Spain so I am stuck with Britanny, and nobody else runs these routes so they have a monopoly.

I also think they know they will always fill up before the sailing date for any times of year that bikes go, so probably don't have to discount or ever do last minute deals to fill last few spaces like the airline / holiday industry might.

For me (and my potential bikermates) the cost is not the most important factor, its the bloody conservative polices that will destroy my chances of finding well paid work from the 6th April, IR35 reforms won't mean much to most, but for me it means about 90% of the contracts I can currently apply for will be gone in April - predominantly going offshore, and any UK work remaining will be much lower paying.

My current role is for a foreign company (but working in the UK) so won't be affected by IR35, but Brexit might cause other problems for anyone working directly for an EU based company.

My sympathies to you over the possible (likely) consequences for small businesses, such as yourself, over Brexit. But hey, if it stops Poles picking sprouts in freezing Lincolnshire in November (depriving our children of work) and Lithuanians stealing our motorbikes in London (depriving our other children of the opportunity) it will be a price worth paying.

I would say to book as soon as you can - and pay a flexible fare rate so you cancel or change if need be without too much financial penalty....

It's a bit like booking hotel rooms for groups. I normally use booking.com and block book hotels on rates that have free cancellation. 95% of the time, I use them, but for the 5% of times when circumstances dictate change, it's worth it.

The flexible rate is all well and good. I never book a flexible ticket as they generally cost so much more.
A friend who panics about everything booked the same crossing on Eurotunnel as the rest of us last year paid an extra 50 quid to be flexible for peace of mind. When we arrived 3 hours early for out crossing we could either wait an hour and get on two hours early for free or pay 20 quid and get straight on. This was cheaper than paying for the flexible ticket in the first place.
I know this is different for a long ferry crossing that doesn't run every half hour or so. But the cost for us last year booking a flexi ticket for our return from Santander was way too expensive.

I booked for our group of 8 for a trip in June a week after they came out in October.

Even then I’d missed the sailings I was going for. You have to be quick!

Back
Top Bottom