BMW ‘Large softbag’

Wapping

Reaction score
What an excellent bag the BMW ‘Large softbag’ is. Way better than the Northface roll bag thing I took away with me when I last went on an extended camping jaunt.

large-softbag.jpg

https://www.vinesguildfordmotorrad....r-accessories/bags-accessories/large-softbag/

I am going away next year for a month in France, mostly camping. I didn’t want to load kit into my 1600’s top box, preferring to have any weight on the seat behind me. So I thought I’d spend this afternoon seeing if the bag would cope.

The softbag has easily swallowed the lot, including a Hilleberg Nallo 3 GT, which is not exactly small. Table, chair, camp bed, cooking gear, sleeping bag, 6” nails (bloody hard ground) tent pegs, mallet for banging them in, light, pillow.... it’s all in there and more. That means that all my campsite ‘stuff’ is all in one place. A minimal amount of clothing in the 1600 side panniers boxes and the cavernous top box empty. Perfect.

I think any bag with 'structure' beats a roll bag for real space, use-ability and easy access, but a roll bag can seem less 'bulky on the bike.

All depends what you want, but I prefer no overhang, so use an 18L rear bag from-SW Motech. It has some structure, unlike the floppy roll bags and it was just a case of many years learning what I don't need to take, as it certainly isn't big.

In all honesty, I have two, so pack the spare inside the other and will sometimes use it towards the end of the trip as inevitably, packing skills deteriorate as you go, as do your smelly socks. The two still don't take up much room on the bike.

Back
Top Bottom