Bottom cleaning.....

ShakeyBMW

S K P
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Does anybody have a good technique for cleaning the aluminium castings at the bottom of the fork legs?

I’m using alloy wheel cleaner and a soft wire brush but it’s not perfect by any means.

Attachments

• 944F8AFD-A7C6-4A26-9E19-7908BABFA17E.jpg
    944F8AFD-A7C6-4A26-9E19-7908BABFA17E.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 758
Eeeek! I avoid a wire brush, that finish ain’t that tough. I have always used normal bike cleaner well brushed in and then washed off - over the years (5 GS’s) I’ve learned that the only way to preserve that finish is wash then ACF 50 - once the finish is gone there’s no getting it back.

I've found the bare alloy cast parts clean up well with some Autosol applied with a toothbrush ... don't use your own, find someone elses!

Hi Guys,

I have the perfect solution to this question, Silver leaf Rub'nBuff.
I have used it for years on cast alloy & it bring it up like new. You just need a tiny amount, rub it into de-greased alloy with someone else's toothbrush and polish off the excess. I did a complete 1996 R100R and it looked like new.
It is wax based and gives a slightly waterproof coat and if you get it on anything that you didn't intend, like black paint or rubber, it comes off easily with some petrol on a rag.
I also use black Rub'nBuff (Ebony) on my brake calipers. It's only £7 a tube and you could do a complete engine with one tube, it goes far!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rub-n-Bu...ax-Leather-Wood-Metal-15ml-/293021591262?var=

Cheers,
Pete

Hi Guys,

I have used it for years on cast alloy & it bring it up like new. You just need a tiny amount, rub it into de-greased alloy with someone else's toothbrush and polish off the excess. I did a complete 1996 R100R and it looked like new.
It is wax based and gives a slightly waterproof coat and if you get it on anything that you didn't intend, like black paint or rubber, it comes off easily with some petrol on a rag.
I also use black Rub'nBuff (Ebony) on my brake calipers. It's only £7 a tube and you could do a complete engine with one tube, it goes far!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rub-n-Bu...ax-Leather-Wood-Metal-15ml-/293021591262?var=

Cheers,
Pete
I’ve seen Adam Savage use that stuff on some of his special effects items. Interesting suggestion, thanks.

I've found the bare alloy cast parts clean up well with some Autosol applied with a toothbrush ... don't use your own, find someone elses!

I'll try that, sounds like a good idea :thumb2

You can then use car wax over it once clean, just to give it a chance of staying clean....

Hi Guys,

Cheers,
Pete

That is interesting.. I've never seen this stuff before but will work a treat on a number of projects I've got ongoing!.. thanks for the heads-up !! :beerjug:

I got the impression the fork bottoms, yoke and suspension wishbone are painted or otherwise coated. I'd lay money it's not bare alloy.

They are painted, I've found BMWs own cleaner the best for removing dirt and dust in that area. I hate cleaning my bike so only use stuff that works first time.

I use Rhino Goo or Muk Off with a soft paintbrush and quickly wash off with water/wax cleaner, followed by ACF365
Works great!

I use one of them white wonder sponges that are good for pans. doesn't scratch the metal and removes all the marks with some soapy water. usually found on the jml shelf in asda

Back
Top Bottom