Good Hotel with Good Restaurant an within 90 minutes from Calais?

Roberto

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Can any of our learned folks recommend a good hotel with a good restaurant (or a good hotel handily located for a good restaurant) within striking distance.. so an hour and a half of Calais? Not on the bike so not worried about all things bike.
We had a reservation for next week and that has been cancelled on us :(
..so I'm looking to find an alternative...

Thanks in advance,
R :thumb

Which direction are you going? No good recommending Abbeville if you want to be in Belgium!

Chateaux Tilques should tick all your boxes. Believe to or not, it's in Tilques!

https://www.booking.com/hotel/fr/hotel-chateau-tilques.en-gb.html

Lovely hotel, 60 minutes (35 miles) from the tunnel exit, with lovely grounds and an excellent restaurant. It's about £80 a night....

I use it quite regularly when I want to get an early start over the channel. It's far better than staying in the Premier Inn and then getting a stupidly early train. Much better to get to France in the evening, have a lovely meal and a good nights sleep, then a relaxed breakfast.

Thanks all..

Have stayed at The Coq in Montreuil and Chateau Tilques previously, they are good tips (although the restaurant at Tileques has gone a bit downhill IMO)..

I like St.Omer.
Nice places to stay in, and decent choices of eating and watering places.
Also, the Blockhouse d'Eperleques is between Calais and St.Omer for an interesting visit (if you like WW2 history) and La Coupole rocket assembly/launch site is very near for another such visit.

Thanks to everyone- excellent how the great and good of UKGSer can help :thumb

Wapping - Actually I did have Hôtel La Sapinière in Wisques booked originally but that was the one that fell through :(

So ultimately I have now booked in the place of the original one a place - Romantik Hotel Manoir Ogygia, in Poperinge - which looks to fit the bill nicely.
I'm also out later this week at Châtellerie De Schoebeque in Cassel.
For future reference I'll feed back on both as I do find these threads useful :thumby:

I do like St Omer, no stranger to crashing in the Ibis there. Green Farm is bookmarked for the future for sure!

:beerjug:

Can any of our learned folks recommend a good hotel with a good restaurant (or a good hotel handily located for a good restaurant) within striking distance.. so an hour and a half of Calais? Not on the bike so not worried about all things bike.
We had a reservation for next week and that has been cancelled on us :(
..so I'm looking to find an alternative...

Thanks in advance,
R :thumb

Gunpowder at London Bridge, their lamb chops are awesome. :)

Cassel....I've never stayed there but I once ride through there to see what it looked like.
Jeez.....double vision and a puckered arse due to miles of very wet and slippery cobbles! :eek

Thanks to everyone- excellent how the great and good of UKGSer can help :thumb

Wapping - Actually I did have Hôtel La Sapinière in Wisques booked originally but that was the one that fell through :(

So ultimately I have now booked in the place of the original one a place - Romantik Hotel Manoir Ogygia, in Poperinge - which looks to fit the bill nicely.
For future reference I'll feed back on both as I do find these threads useful :thumby:

I do like St Omer, no stranger to crashing in the Ibis there. Green Farm is bookmarked for the future for sure!

:beerjug:

I’ve stayed at the Manoir Ogygia a few times.
Some of the rooms are stunning and the dinner in the manor house is amazing .

8586751d2901a81dd33236ebedd63b99.jpg
d529e148a65da1fae540dce7c5814d14.jpg

For another occasion I can recommend staying at the Hotel Jan Brito in Bruges and dining at the Bistro de Schaar. Both amazing.
Try the steak,cooked over charcoal.

Ypres is only about 60 miles away and has some lovely places to stay and plenty of good restuarants in the old square.

Cassel....I've never stayed there but I once ride through there to see what it looked like.
Jeez.....double vision and a puckered arse due to miles of very wet and slippery cobbles! :eek

Aaargh, cobbles!

Thankfully will be in the car :)

I’ve stayed at the Manoir Ogygia a few times.
Some of the rooms are stunning and the dinner in the manor house is amazing

That's good news, cheers. It does look pretty good there.. and we've booked the posh menu for Saturday night :thumb

For another occasion I can recommend staying at the Hotel Jan Brito in Bruges and dining at the Bistro de Schaar. Both amazing.
Try the steak,cooked over charcoal.

Cheers. Another bookmarked for future use :thumb

You've heard of a ride report, we'll here's a Pie-eyed report. Fresh back from a couple of sorties..

Cassel - A night in Chatellerie de Schoebeque in Cassel. http://www.schoebeque.com - A pleasant hotel with some character and good views from the rooms at the back. Enclosed Courtyard Parking will please bikermates. Breakfast at 17 Euros not at all worth it - bread and jam, but then again that's France I guess.
The restaurant wasn't open but we went to dinner at Haut Bonheur de la Table http://www.hautbonheurdelatable.com and had a very good, but very rich 7 course diinner.
The following day we stopped in at the St Bernadus Brewery in Watou which has a panoramic restaurant at the top of the brewery. A splendid place and would make for a good stop.. http://barbernard.be
We then visited Ypres and that was a very pleasant meander. Lunch in the square at Brasserie Petrus - Flemish Beef Stew - followed by a waffle - well that hit the spot.

Poperinge - For my ten eurocents, there isn't very much at all to Poperinge. It's not anything particularly remarkable and even more especially not with Ypres so close by. The Christmas market was a few huts selling beer, which I am not adverse to, but Mrs R with her passion for Christmas nick-nacks was left unfulfilled.
However, what is worth it is that the Manoir Ogygia was quite exceptional and one of the nicest places I've ever stayed at (and I've stayed at a few places over the years). The room was fabulous, the grounds superb, and the meal in the restuarant was little short of sensational. Not at all cheap, but absolutely worth it.

For beer lovers, can I recommend Beer Shop Noel Cuvelier, Abelestationsplein, Poperinge, just out to the west of town by the border. A truly mind boggling array of beers and quite reasonable prices (The count up at the checkout was 77 bottles) :thumb

Back
Top Bottom