Insuring a foreign visitor on a UK bike

fatbaldbob

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have a friend visiting this summer who lives in Germany and wants to ride the NC500. I have a spare bike he can use whilst he is here and it will also save on costs and time if he can simply fly over and use my bike.

The question is how easy is it to sort the insurance cover, a bit of googling gives no answers just lots of companies offering full policies for foreign nationals living in the UK.

Has anyone done this before, i have not approached my insurance company yey, but are they likely to refuse or quote an extortionately high price?

I added my brother to my policy. They didn;t ask for a home address, just age and how long held a full license. Barely changed the premium...

I added my brother to my policy. They didn;t ask for a home address, just age and how long held a full license. Barely changed the premium...

Be careful with this. If you are not a UK resident (past 6 months), he may not be covered. I used to be covered on my brother in laws car, then he was asked about residency.

Found this. 3 years old.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/uk-motorcycle-insurance-for-non-residents-is-now-available.1165906/

You can come to UK and hire a car at point of entry with insurance why should it be so difficult - but it seems it is ??

Thanks for that, looks like you cannot add a non UK resident to your policy, yet there are no issues with him hiring a bike and getting insured! Looks like that may be the way ahead. Not quite sure I understand all the talk around the Carol Nash policies as my understanding is you cannot have two insurers covering the same bike, meaning I would have to cancel my insurance for the period my visitor would run the bike, this will then cost me a fortune. Best to look for a rental bike I think.

Why not try someone like the brokers Bemoto who get good reviews and appear to actually know what they are talking about when it comes to motorbikes. They may offer a specific product or be able to point you in the right direction.

I added an Argentinian and his pillion to my bike insurance - for the duration of the policy. Insurance company was MCE. This was with his International Driving Permit. It was expensive but possible. The bike was an RD 07A Africa Twin.

It gave them their holiday in the UK so worth it.

I added an Argentinian and his pillion to my bike insurance - for the duration of the policy. Insurance company was MCE. This was with his International Driving Permit. It was expensive but possible. The bike was an RD 07A Africa Twin.

It gave them their holiday in the UK so worth it.

Interesting; one of the potential loan bikes is currently with MCE and another with Bennets.

Do so, and find out, FFS.

But both are due renewal before his visit, (hence "Tarka" why I have not asked them FFS). So will be a key question at renewal time when looking for quotes.

Has anyone done this before, i have not approached my insurance company yey, but are they likely to refuse or quote an extortionately high price?

Interesting; one of the potential loan bikes is currently with MCE and another with Bennets.

But both are due renewal before his visit, (hence "Tarka" why I have not asked them FFS). So will be a key question at renewal time when looking for quotes.

You don’t have to wait until you renew. You can ring your current insurers up any old time that their phone lines are active.

You asked for an answer today. Tarka offered a perfectly valid current suggestion: That you do what you haven’t yet done.

If nothing else, you’ll find out if they are likely to refuse or if they will be extortionately expensive, aka a rip-off. Just think, if they say “Yes” you’d have saved yourself asking the question of UKGSer in the first place.

You don’t have to wait until you renew. You can ring your current insurers up any old time that their phone lines are active.

You asked for an answer today. Tarka offered a perfectly valid current suggestion: That you do what you haven’t yet done.

If nothing else, you’ll find out if they are likely to refuse or if they will be extortionately expensive, aka a rip-off. Just think, if they say “Yes” you’d have saved yourself asking the question of UKGSer in the first place.

But that's what we are here for, to learn from the experience of others! Hard to believe in 54,753 posts you have never asked a question on here, or do you know everything? Don't see the issue with asking first, but appreciate you and Tarka taking the time to reply; you clearly care enough to leave your sagely if not useless advice and for that I thank you.

Think about it just for a moment. You did indeed come here, asking for advice. Tarka suggested you do the one (comparatively simple) thing that you told the world you hadn’t done. You then appeared to get the shits with our curiously coiffured, cider drinking friend for suggesting it.

But hey, enough of you, it’s butter on croissants that interest me. Yes or no?

Think about it just for a moment. You did indeed come here, asking for advice. Tarka suggested you do the one (comparatively simple) thing that you told the world you hadn’t done. You then appeared to get the shits with our curiously coiffured, cider drinking friend for suggesting it.

But hey, enough of you, it’s butter on croissants that interest me. Yes or no?

You lot must be snowflakes, if you class that as getting the shits, clearly a sensitive bunch.:comfort

Regarding butter try it with both FFS and decide for yourself and who cares what the rest think. For me its butter and disappointed that people would even ask when the answer is obvious!:D

You lot must be snowflakes, if you class that as getting the shits, clearly a sensitive bunch.:comfort

Regarding butter try it with both FFS and decide for yourself and who cares what the rest think. For me its butter and disappointed that people would even ask when the answer is obvious!:D

Bob, didnt you know hes the forum chief :troll1 ? He trolls the whole site, then swoop's in with some unintelligible shite then fucks off again. 54K posts tells you all you need to know, hes chief shit stirrer, and quite frankly, he's an arse to boot. Sad cnut really, and needs your pity rather than a scolding. :thumb

Bob, didnt you know hes the forum chief :troll1 ? He trolls the whole site, then swoop's in with some unintelligible shite then fucks off again. 54K posts tells you all you need to know, hes chief shit stirrer, and quite frankly, he's an arse to boot. Sad cnut really, and needs your pity rather than a scolding. :thumb

Hi Del, yes well noted thanks, i don't post a lot but have been around here a long time so know his form, I'll stop feeding him:thumb

This from February of this year:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/insurance-help-eu-non-resident-uk-bike.1365196/

https://advrider.com/f/threads/uk-motorcycle-insurance-for-non-residents-is-now-available.1165906/

This from earlier in 2016.

http://www.ulyssesclub.org/News/tab...UK-Motorbike-Insurance-for-Non-Residents.aspx

You’ll have to cut through a lot of the bikermate posts which just bang on about, “You’ll have a great time”, “Wish I could do it”, “That sounds great but insurance is a rip-off” which, whilst they might all be true, do nothing to answer the question.

The name Lee Dyer at Adrian Flux comes up more than once. As recently as January of this year, Lee (whoever he is) was apparently punting out insurance to non-UK nationals. Whether some of it was to EU residents, as opposed to non-EU bods, is not always obvious. Suggest you contact him: lee.dyer@adrianflux.co.uk

German insurance provider, Tour Insure, also comes up, as does: http://www.lobagola.com/. Axa also comes up too but maybe under different circumstances. But hey, start with your existing insurer(s) first, as that might be easiest, as Tarka suggested.

PS When you have (or haven’t) secured insurance for your mate, what would be helpful to others would be to tell UKGSer who you did it with, the details and how. If you fail, tell then why too. Why? Because this is not the first time the question has come up, I doubt it will be the last. So often bods just suck in the help (or just mouth off) and offer nothing in return, not even a very basic acknowledgement of any help they have received. Break the mould.

"German insurance provider, Tour Insure, also comes up, as does: http://www.lobagola.com/."

Just a thought Wapping. Are those providers members of the Motor Insurers Bureau? My understanding is that a UK registered vehicle has to be insured by a member of the MIB.

"German insurance provider, Tour Insure, also comes up, as does: http://www.lobagola.com/."

Just a thought Wapping. Are those providers members of the Motor Insurers Bureau? My understanding is that a UK registered vehicle has to be insured by a member of the MIB.

Not a clue. They seem to be lobbing out some sort of cover to non-UK bods, assuming that is the people buying the insurance actually know what is they have bought, which might not always be the case. It’s quite possible that ‘Tour Insure’ have aligned themselves with a pan-European insurer, like Axa or one of the Gibraltar based insurers who can sort out the UK legal niceties but who knows.

Anyway, I doubt if the bods that buy the insurance care about the MIB any more than they care about French speed limits.

They might if they had their UK registered bikes seized. :augie. May even ping up on ANPR as of course its the MIB database that uploads to the PNC database.

Back
Top Bottom