Urban GS seat fixing cross threaded

Afmuir

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hello
I installed a rear rack onto my 2018 UGS (can't recall which one) which came with an extended bolt to fasten the seat down. At some point, I guess last time I had the seat off, I must have cross threaded the bolt back in cos when I came to remove again it was I thought just seized with all the crud etc and the stupid arrangement anyway. So when I put bike into dealers for service I asked them to free it off. They have come back to say it was cross threaded which means a new seat as the thread is damaged and a new rear wiring loom as the wiring to tail light had insulation damage all as a result of this bolt.
My reaction is put insulating tape around the wire damage, and tap the seat to get a new thread into it. Dealer says could temp repair wiring but would cost same as new rear loom, won't tap the seat as it would be temp repair and not safe.
Guess I'm looking for views, should I persist and get the bike back and try and sort it out myself or not?

Bit of a common problem with the securing nut for the seat on the turban/Scrambler - had an issue with the captive nut in mine spinning in the mounting.

Would get it back off them and try to sort it yourself - new seat is going to be very expensive - got mine replaced under warranty!

If I remember the threaded sleeve is moulded into the plastic seat base. They’ve obviously been able to remove the seat. If you can get the cross threaded sleeve out of the plastic I’d be attempting to epoxy a riv nut into the hole.

Thanks both. Yes that was my thinking, get the seat back and take some time to examine how best to get a thread in place. I have asked for pictures to be sent to me of the wiring damage and the underside of the seat so I can have a look and try and determine what its like. They mentioned that the portion with the thread in it had come away from the rest of the seat (not sure how) which could make repair tricky I guess.

If the sleeve is already out I’d hope that my suggestion of epoxying a new sleeve in would work.

thanks, if I knew how to post a pic I would do so, have used photo bucket in the past but doesn't seem to be working atm.

Another potential fix for the seat is to carefully remove the back of the seat cover by removing some staples so you can get to the top of seat base.

You could then insert a bolt and epoxy resin it in place so you then just put a nut on to secure from underneath - no idea if this will work but may be worth a try if all else fails.

Would also Dremel a slot in the end of the bolt so you could use a screwdriver to hold it steady if it started to spin when undoing the nut.

MINE DID THE SAME!!!
Pretty clearly poor design, I ended up turning an adapter, drilling and epoxying
wouldn't mind that 1/2 day of my life back!
it seems fine, at least.....

Had same issue with mine !
Had to buy new seat and dealer had cheek to try charge £160 for drilling out the bolt !!!
Told them to shove it and sold the bike .
Dreadful design on top of the most uncomfortable bike I’ve ever owned . You live and learn !!

I just fitted a threaded sleeve into the hole on the seat after cleaning it up a bit, then new threaded bolt and wing nut to secure it all. Seems fine and not fallen off yet!

Back
Top Bottom