Help please as can't act as administrator on windows 10

Big-G

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi, even though I'm the only user and administrator on my windows 10 my user account won't let me act as such and won't allow me to open device manager etc. A red pop up appears and says consult administrator. I can of course operate command prompt as admin ok.
Any help please in resolving this.
Cheers G

Hi I have thanks but coming up clean. CCleaner done after every session

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can edit the Registry to get rid of it, if you feel confident enough.
It disables the UAC, (User Account Control), by setting the DWORD value to 0 (zero)

Type REGEDIT in the search box.
RIGHT click on Registry Editor and run as Administrator.

Now the registry is open.
In the LEFT pane, select HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE (click the > to expand the list in the left pane)

Click the > of SOFTWARE
Click the > of MICROSOFT
Click the > of Windows
Click the > of CurrentVersion
Click the > of Policies
Click the word System

In the RIGHT pane of System, double click on EnableLUA
This will open the DWORD edit panel where you change the "Value Data" from 1 to 0

This will than ask/force you to reboot the system

Before you do it, read this: how-user-account-control-works and make sure you are happy with it, especially the bit: Never notify (Disable UAC prompts) will:

Not notify you when programs try to install software or make changes to your computer.
Not notify you when you make changes to Windows settings.
Not freeze other tasks until you respond.

Not recommended due to security concerns.

OR, you can simply open UAC from the search box and select the security level you want from there. Its a smaller hammer to use :)

I'll be honest, this combined with your previous problem has me concerned that you have some sort of malware infection somewhere.

I know that you have already ran a couple of other scans, but if possible try running a scan with the free version of Hitman Pro and see if that comes back with anything

I’ve done a reset and got rid of all my none std apps etc and everything is now running fine again so I’m almost convinced this was some kind of conflict with Cardo’s new download app. All scans show no malware so I’ll start reloading 3 party programs and apps again and check each one as I go. Fingers crossed. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom