Any advice on fire extinguishers please - new insurance clause

tyclyd

Gary
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Wonder if anyone can help? I have a clause in my van insurance from Adrian Flux that reads "368 Fire extinguisher warranty - It is a condition of this insurance that an efficient fire extinguisher is kept in your vehicle". Its a van being converted to a camper, they were no help in giving me more info so just wondered what the collective view might be. If the van is well on fire i am going to let it burn so am not looking for anything massive, also to work i suspect it would need to be maintained (annually bit like the work ones?), again any thoughts? I was going for a 1 or 2 kg dry powder???

If, you're going to have a cooker etc in the conversion; fire blanket and a powder extinguisher.

Are they requiring gas and electric certificates ? Worth while for peace of mind if nothing else.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Powder extinguishers are best avoided in vehicles as the vibrations tamp the powder into a compressed block which may not discharge when needed.

Consider a 3M Novec 1230 product.

I Have a few Brand new in the box Halon 1211 extinguishers - would that be any good? They are only small 1.5 KG - they are in my workshop in boxes, just remembered them???

I recall a conversation recently with a "karting dad" who is now required under RAC regs to have a large fire extinguisher (5kg? foam?) on board whenever setting up his van in the pits area for a practice or race meeting.
Given Adrian Flux connection to motor racing could it be something found in the Regs?

Just a thought.:nenau

If, you're going to have a cooker etc in the conversion; fire blanket and a powder extinguisher.

Are they requiring gas and electric certificates ? Worth while for peace of mind if nothing else.

No thay have not asked for that but we are getting those when the conversion is finished.

I Have a few Brand new in the box Halon 1211 extinguishers - would that be any good? They are only small 1.5 KG - they are in my workshop in boxes, just remembered them???

Isn’t Halon gas poisonous? Normally used on offshore platforms for enclosed substations. They deluge the fire as a controlled system. Nobody allowed inside until purged.

Patria o Muerte

Isn’t Halon gas poisonous? Normally used on offshore platforms for enclosed substations. They deluge the fire as a controlled system. Nobody allowed inside until purged.

Patria o Muerte
Also used in computer storage and comms rooms, fine for protecting electrical equipment not so good for the operators.

First extinguishers in PSV's can be powder or water filled (2kgs) co2 not allowed. I would go with those guidelines.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Wonder if anyone can help?....

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=fire+extinguisher+for+campervan

It’s a bizarre warranty, as it says ‘efficient’ fire extinguisher. Halon would be efficient but it would possibly kill you. Water is equally efficient... but not on all fires, indeed it could well make it worse.

Take the chimps in Adrian Flux to task; bikermates do it all the time enquiring on all sorts of ever more convoluted matters, taking hours of the chimps’ time..... and then moan when they get charged £30 for the one amendment they really do need to make, which only takes a second.

Failing that suggestion, just buy one as recommended by say the caravan or motorhome clubs. You can bet they have several very odd people who have debated the subject to death and maybe even have conducted their own tests with hilarious results..... or find another insurer.

Patria o Muerte

Also used in computer storage and comms rooms, fine for protecting electrical equipment not so good for the operators.

Isn’t halon banned in the UK now ?

Back
Top Bottom