1150gs RID failure

stevosull

Reaction score
Hi All,

Looking for some advice,

A few days ago I changed the headlight bulbs in my bike and now the RID is blank. The backlight is still working but no info. I have done the following;

- put back the original bulbs which were fine
- took out the 3rd fuse to do a reset
- visually checked the wiring which looks ok even though some of the sheath has disintegrated

Still blank after these attempts so any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks,
Steve

Have you checked fuse 3 is okay assume your using the clear fuses.

I have had an RID fail. They just go dead. With the cold sudden burst of power causes a soldered joint to break.
I think it was winter when mine failed.

OK, I got this. I know little of motorcycles oily parts, but I do know this.

You've fitted HIDs haven't you?

You have to remove and replace the fuse for the HID etc or disconnect the cable (I think it's under the front of the tank) and leave it without power for a few mins. Reconnect or replace the fuse and all will be well.

AFAIU it's something to do with the electric field caused by the ballast when it doesn't spark up properly.

No not HID's just new regular bulbs, but definitely connected to whatever i did when I changed the bulbs.

I did have it parked up for about a month without starting so bluerangers post might be the reason, saying that it was in the garage the whole time so wouldn't have been that cold

If it is a broken soldered joint, is it something repairable or do i have to order a new one? any recommendations on where to get one?

I am hoping to sell shortly as want to upgrade to a 08-10 1200 adv so want to make sure everything is working right

Thanks for the help

Steve

If it is that unless your into electronics....
2nd hand ones are cheap enough.

You be surprised about the cold.

No not HID's just new regular bulbs, but definitely connected to whatever i did when I changed the bulbs.

I did have it parked up for about a month without starting so bluerangers post might be the reason, saying that it was in the garage the whole time so wouldn't have been that cold

If it is a broken soldered joint, is it something repairable or do i have to order a new one? any recommendations on where to get one?

I am hoping to sell shortly as want to upgrade to a 08-10 1200 adv so want to make sure everything is working right

Thanks for the help

Steve
In which case, I got nothing. Soz.

So checked grey connector and found following;

constant 12v in pin 5.
12v in pin 6 when ignition on.
Earth looks good too.

I assume this means that it’s either the 3rd fuse is faulty or the RID is blown?

Back
Top Bottom