k1600 gearbox recall

Not sure about any Vampire Motorcycles, but don't be too complacent Quinten, my 2012 K16 GT managed to blow it's gearbox at 4k. It's rare, but there by the grace of ... go we all.

Not sure about any Vampire Motorcycles, but don't be too complacent Quinten, my 2012 K16 GT managed to blow it's gearbox at 4k. It's rare, but there by the grace of ... go we all.

You're quite right and I don't want to tempt fate. I've got to 16k-ish and apart from a failed rear light unit and left-hand switchgear in the first week of ownership (which left me thinking "What have I done?") it hasn't missed a beat yet.

I received my letter at the end of October and enquired straight away about booking the bike in. I was told that the details of exactly what the repair entails or precisely what parts were being replaced was not clear, and in any case nothing was likely to be done before mid/end December.

No further news to date.

I received my letter at the end of October and enquired straight away about booking the bike in. I was told that the details of exactly what the repair entails or precisely what parts were being replaced was not clear, and in any case nothing was likely to be done before mid/end December.

No further news to date.

jr,
mine went into Cotswold bmw in November,poss one of the first to be done so they say, loan bike provided rt1250,after some moaning by myself.
i know they have around 30 bikes to be done so far,so i would get it in to a dealer.
ps they also said it would only take them poss a day to do the modification ??

Do you know what they done? I know there are some gearbox bits but heard there is some new ECU software as well? I don't really want mine overwritten after having it tweaked.

Do you know what they done? I know there are some gearbox bits but heard there is some new ECU software as well? I don't really want mine overwritten after having it tweaked.

They wipe a rag over it, all day if necessary. So I hear.

Why not call your dealership and ask them? You can, if you like, ask them how your unspecific ‘tweaking’ (whatever that is) of software might or might not be affected, assuming that is what you heard about the software is correct. Failing that, ask whoever told you or, better still, the tweakers of your software.

It seems Belco100 heard wrong about a software update. He needs to change his mate. Or maybe BMW are not telling the truth. Or there is a supplemental to the dealerships. The murky world might just have got murkier, paricularly as there is no mention of rubbing anything with a rag.

Has anyone actually had the recall work done yet? I put a deposit on a K in December and was told they wouldn’t even get the parts until mid January

spoke to Cotswold bmw where my bike is resting since November today,
the update is,
waiting for some tools,the bike will be done in two weeks ??

Got the same from mine as well. Bits are trickling through and should be done in Feb.

I never actually stopped using mine, out at weekends as the weather has been so good and the roads aren't salted yet. Fingers crossed :aidan

Back
Top Bottom