Anyone got a Belstaff ?

sherpatensing

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anybody here got a modern Belstaff waxed cotton jacket? I was thinking about getting one mainly for use when riding my old classic bikes.

Very 'hipster' but just be aware that they offer little/no protection in the CE sense. I've got the scars to prove it, even on my chest from the badge pins.

i bought one last year ,used it all last winter spring and still using it now..its done around 9000 miles in all weather. never leaked etc .I did find it a little warm in the summer heat. I got eh short version as opposed to the long version. Mine has a removable inner jacket ,the armour is all D30, thats elbows and shoulders. There is a slip in pocket for a back protector.
If you log onto Motolegends website, they were offering big discounts the other day on Belstaff. Becareful with the sizing though as they do come up very small. A normal L wearer ,would need an XXL.
Great jackets in my opinion

Urban Rider have some deals on at the moment with a couple of Belstaff’s included.

I’ve got a Merlin jacket myself, British made, great cut and fit, and using authentic Halley Stevenson waxed cotton. Mine is the “Edale” which also has a waterproof membrane sewn in and a removable outlast thermal liner. It does not have the brand, granted, but it has the looks and is very well made.

Anybody here got a modern Belstaff waxed cotton jacket?

I have both a Trialmaster and the shorter Brooklands.

I bought the Brooklands purely as a "fashion accessory" :D to be honest, to have a light jacket to use in spring for the bike on short runs in London, and something I could wear off the bike.
Comes with EC protections, I took them off.
God in light rain, might protect you like a sweater :)

Got the Trialmaster later, to replace a Dainese city jacket I had. Again, to have something to ride in town (work, etc) and being presentable off the bike.
Have to say I found the protections a bit better on the Trialmaster than on the Brooklands.
I love it.

It is the essential jacket for British weather though. Don't care if it rains or not, etc. I use it down to zero degrees.
I used to have a few Barbour jackets and another Belstaff when I was a kid in Italy and, given the warmer climate, you can wear them just for a month or two without sweating like a pig inside it :D

Used it once in Italy a couple of xmases ago, where I rented a bike and went on a ride (on the snow...) with friends. Worked well and was bloody cold :D

But in reality I use other kit when riding normally of course.
Get a Trialmaster, you won't regret it.

Just be careful about which one you purchase, there are 2 sides to Belstaff, you have a fashion range and a pure motorcycle collection which is where you should be buying from if you're considering using both on and off the bike.

Pure fashion jackets are thinner cheaper made but usually around 50% at least more expensive for some reason basically down to the people they're targeting it at.

The pure motorcycle collection which is what the likes of us, motolegends and urbanrider etc sell is made with bikers in mind (at least it is now.. not always has been). It's all going to be CE approved in 2020 due to new regulations anyways, but ti's actually made really well.

I personally own a Belstaff Crosby 6oz but that's more for casual use, I don't use it on a bike and to be honest at 6oz cotton it's probab;y too thin to wear, you want something 10oz and above to give yourself some good protection, but they use D3o armour which is very good and comfortable too. Just be picky with the one you purchase and make sure it's from the pure motorcycle collection is my advice :)

Thankyou gents. Some useful info there. I like the look of the Trialmaster Pro48 so will get Christmas over and look for best prices.

The D30 armour might be good but I’m not sure if the waxed cotton that holds it in place will last more than a few seconds if you come off at 60mph.

The D30 armour might be good but I’m not sure if the waxed cotton that holds it in place will last more than a few seconds if you come off at 60mph.

My Trialmaster held up pretty well TBH - it was me that didn't, when I noticed the blood running out of the sleeve. It was a weird wound, created mainly by heat from that first strike on the road I reckon.

It's easy for any armour to shift around in jackets, unless they fit very tight & the TM just doesn't lend itself to that role in my experience. Just choose carefully if going Belstaff or better still get Kate Jennings at Hideout to make you a nice custom retro leather jacket - it won't come cheap but will last longer than you probably.

I have a trial master I bought when I was 17, 33 years ago. Wore it for 10 years non stop on my bikes and still going strong ... still fits :beerjug:

I've been looking at Belstaff and similar jackets also these past few weeks, dear god those Belstaff on Urban Rider ain't cheap. Quite fancy the Richa one though, decent price.

I've been looking at Belstaff and similar jackets also these past few weeks, dear god those Belstaff on Urban Rider ain't cheap. Quite fancy the Richa one though, decent price.
They are very expensive but the cheaper ones are more fashion items rather than motorcycle (as already pointed out). Not sure about the Richa though, I may look a bit closer at that one.

I’ve got the waxed cotton Belstaff Roberts. I like it a lot. Purchased in the sales and intended for local non-winter riding I think it’ll be ideal. For now, I’m using it as a normal jacket as I’ve taken the armour out. Seems well made but should be for the price. Sizing as previously mentioned is interesting. I’m a 40” chest and the jacket at XL is perfect but their size guide would have had me going for the L.

MOTOCENTRAL...!! Looking at the Pro 48 now but not sure about sizing. What are your prices please? PM please?

Here's the one you're referring to I believe: https://www.motocentral.co.uk/belstaff-trialmaster-pro-48-vintage-wax-cotton-jacket-black.html

Use Code UKGSER at checkout for 10% off.

As for Belstaff sizing, they're getting better but they're still on the smaller fitting, so if you're in between 2 sizes always go for the larger of the 2 is my advice.

Quick heads up for Belstaff lovers, I've seent he new August range... It's going to be called the Long Way Up Collection including McGregor jacket & they're doing a Pro Shell Gore-Tex Belstaff around £1250 I believe, full suit to compete with Rukka which is where they want to go into soon. I'll send more info when I can, I've got a catalogue images etc for now if anyone wants to see roughly what they look like. There is also the Long way Up series being launched around the same time on Apple TV obviously featuring Charley Boorman & Ewan McGregor.

I have a small number of Belstaffs, some from my teenage years, some much newer. I have fallen off in a couple if them and the protection was well.......not great. And they both got pretty much destroyed as only cotton. My main observations are that generally they are f'ing cold in winter and a bit hot n summer, and not really any good at keeping rain out after a very short while. And also, if you use them regularly they do generate their own *ahem* "unique aroma" after a while.

I do have a "Cordura 500" version of the trailmaster which is in fact very good - thicker warmer and much more resilient. And totally waterproof.

But the most important thing is that they all look great:thumb

I have a small number of Belstaffs, some from my teenage years, some much newer. I have fallen off in a couple if them and the protection was well.......not great. And they both got pretty much destroyed as only cotton. My main observations are that generally they are f'ing cold in winter and a bit hot n summer, and not really any good at keeping rain out after a very short while. And also, if you use them regularly they do generate their own *ahem* "unique aroma" after a while.

I do have a "Cordura 500" version of the trailmaster which is in fact very good - thicker warmer and much more resilient. And totally waterproof.

But the most important thing is that they all look great:thumb

Haha that's all very true - the older Belstaffs definitely smell a bit strange after a while. Over the years they've got much better though, don't leave wax residue everywhere like they used to, and from a protection stand point they're reinforced all over with proper armour now. Some of the new materials Belstaff are using is actually much better than 99% of the market, they just don't advertise that side of things as ultimately they're a fashion company. The new Gore-Tex Pro Shell Jacket coming later in the year has shoulder / elbow protection like the old Rukka arma-s jackets if anyone remembers the metal beading... I've been told it's completely indestructable - impressive claims!

Back
Top Bottom