A RIDE TO THE OTHER SIDE......

Well the international licence landed .......the Bumot panniers seem to be a decent bit of kit....didn’t fancy hard panniers landing on my leg if / when I drop it.......
The ferry from Azerbaijan to Turkmenistan looks interesting.....told it goes when it’s full..could be sat at port for a few days....then I read that they are not really seaworthy and are as long as an English Channel ferry but only half s wide and are prone to rolling over if the captain fails to steer into the wind 😳🙈..... then I’m informed we could be sat waiting to dock at Turkmenistan for many hours if the other ferry is still in port......along with all that cheer the cabins are filthy.........apart from all that the weather here looks toasty this weekend..7o... so time to crack a few miles on the 790......

Attachments

• A77B6E62-E7E8-453E-B28F-35D6F83DD7D7.jpg
    A77B6E62-E7E8-453E-B28F-35D6F83DD7D7.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 590
  • 7DA74476-7D49-4383-A331-2F818CC4C9D1.jpg
    7DA74476-7D49-4383-A331-2F818CC4C9D1.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 607
As discussed this evening John .... the ferry's OK, it's just an old boat serving its time out :D

There'll be little holes in the cabin walls for folk to peep through ....

It's an experience, and a risk, worth taking :thumb

I'll sort those maps out for you ... I won't be using them again :rob

:beerjug:

As discussed this evening John .... the ferry's OK, it's just an old boat serving its time out :D

There'll be little holes in the cabin walls for folk to peep through ....

It's an experience, and a risk, worth taking :thumb

I'll sort those maps out for you ... I won't be using them again :rob

:beerjug:
Top man ...
Cheers Micky and thanks for filling me full of confidence on that ferry....:pirate

Hi Camel Toe,

I am doing a very similar journey later this year alone, however I have hit a barrier at getting in to or through China - what are your plans there? It appears a guide is the only way but very expensive way. Currently applying for Pakistan and Iranian visa's (India done...the easy'ish one), although Trump is having a good go at mucking up those plans as well...!.
Attempting mine on a DRZ :)

Hi Camel Toe,

I am doing a very similar journey later this year alone, however I have hit a barrier at getting in to or through China - what are your plans there? It appears a guide is the only way but very expensive way. Currently applying for Pakistan and Iranian visa's (India done...the easy'ish one), although Trump is having a good go at mucking up those plans as well...!.
Hi Jeffk

We have a guide booked to take us through China ....it’s about three weeks down to Laos ...costs around £4000 each for two of us but we are hoping to get more riders to share.the crossing which will reduce the cost.....we are hitting China on 18th may....
We are doing Azerbaijan to Turkmenistan ferry then Uzbekistan..Tajikistan.......
We are hoping Trump hasn’t done too much trouble...yet.....

Hi John.

Good luck and safe travels, when do you estimate that you'll be in Thailand? I live in Thailand when I'm not working or travelling to other parts of the world, would be nice to meet up with you and maybe ride some of the way with you if possible.

Cheers

Stu

Hi Camel Toe,

I am quietly confident that John can do way more to set back relations than trump

Hi, does the guide need details in advance? Just looking at your "offer" of the more the merrier...I'd certainly be willing to cough up.

I am riding with no dates in mind so making the 18th May in Tajikistan is quite a challenge, however if that is open I will strongly consider it. At present I am planning to do parts of some of the TET through Europe (just a day or two, Bularia, Romania, Turkey).
I was going to go through the Parmir and Wakhan but coming all the way back around Afghanistan to go south of China is putting me off so I've currently changed plans so as to do Iran/Pakistan then on through India. Getting out through China is good, if poss.

If you don't mind I'll keep followig the thread. I am planning the early April to mid for my off

Hi John.

Good luck and safe travels, when do you estimate that you'll be in Thailand? I live in Thailand when I'm not working or travelling to other parts of the world, would be nice to meet up with you and maybe ride some of the way with you if possible.

Cheers

Stu
Hi Stuey...we are hoping to be in Thailand somewhere around end of June...not sure on dates yet but I will keep you posted. Still not sure whether to ride through Cambodia to enter Thailand in the south east or hop in from Laos at the top....we are heading to Bangkok to fly bikes to Darwin....you would be more than welcome..

Cheers

John

Hi, does the guide need details in advance? Just looking at your "offer" of the more the merrier...I'd certainly be willing to cough up.

I am riding with no dates in mind so making the 18th May in Tajikistan is quite a challenge, however if that is open I will strongly consider it. At present I am planning to do parts of some of the TET through Europe (just a day or two, Bularia, Romania, Turkey).
I was going to go through the Parmir and Wakhan but coming all the way back around Afghanistan to go south of China is putting me off so I've currently changed plans so as to do Iran/Pakistan then on through India. Getting out through China is good, if poss.

If you don't mind I'll keep followig the thread. I am planning the early April to mid for my off
Hi Jeff

I’ve pm’d you with my number ...
You are more than welcome to do China or any other parts with us...more the merrier ...and cheaper.....

Be interested to know details of your carnet - cost etc...
Good luck - following with interest :thumby:

Hi Stuey...we are hoping to be in Thailand somewhere around end of June...not sure on dates yet but I will keep you posted. Still not sure whether to ride through Cambodia to enter Thailand in the south east or hop in from Laos at the top....we are heading to Bangkok to fly bikes to Darwin....you would be more than welcome..

Cheers

John

Hi John

Just a heads up on Cambodia, at the moment it's impossible to get insurance for a foreign registered bike in Cambodia, I've had several friends try over the last couple of years.

Cheers

Stu

Hi John

Just a heads up on Cambodia, at the moment it's impossible to get insurance for a foreign registered bike in Cambodia, I've had several friends try over the last couple of years

Stu

Yes I too heard that.....if it’s a problem we will do Laos into Thailand.......I have a friend who is big buddy with the police major general in Thailand

Back
Top Bottom