A RIDE TO THE OTHER SIDE......

Be interested to know details of your carnet - cost etc...
Good luck - following with interest :thumby:

We have only come up against carnets in Australia...got a couple of options.....
1. 5 page carnet £215 plus security premium fee of £1392 and a refund of £250
2. 5 page carnet £215 plus £4000 deposit and £3500 refund when discharged.

I do wonder whether the cost of flying me and the bike to Oz and car nets etc is worth it or just to ship the bike back from Bangkok and fly home ready for the next adventure....

We have only come up against carnets in Australia...got a couple of options.....

I do wonder whether the cost of flying me and the bike to Oz and car nets etc is worth it or just to ship the bike back from Bangkok and fly home ready for the next adventure....

Thanks for the reply. So, if I’m correct, option 2 would be cheapest overall cost at £715 each.
My wife would dearly love to ride her bike into her uncles man shed in Victoria but an £8000 deposit is too much and I’m not riding pillion all the way to Oz :eek:

How is the planning going guys? I have found myself a guide now and am planning to arrive early June, was expensive but needed. $2000 to go 450km!!
I wonder whether the borders will be open then..hope so.
China visa application taking place this week, hopefully that will be OK, forms completed, invites secured...then comes the Pakistan visa, again all the invites are here but I always feel nervous about having all in order!

Cheers

How is the planning going guys? I have found myself a guide now and am planning to arrive early June, was expensive but needed. $2000 to go 450km!!
I wonder whether the borders will be open then..hope so.
China visa application taking place this week, hopefully that will be OK, forms completed, invites secured...then comes the Pakistan visa, again all the invites are here but I always feel nervous about having all in order!

Cheers
Hi Jeff....we are just waiting and watching the China situation....we hit the border around 10/5 but our guide has asked us if we can delay till September...that’s a no go for me so if we can’t cross China will loop around and had back to UK via Kazakhstan and ??
Now we have Italy looking a problem so we may have to route through Croatia etc...
Just had all my vaccinations at Sheffield hospital travel dept...£130....... my riding buddy had his at boots in Durham area..£700 :blast
Bikes ready...I’m ready.....watch this space...

Thanks. China visa in...now getting the Pakistan one next week. Its a game but I think I am just going to bash on. Leaving Mid April and heading to Turkey. From there on I'll just have to see whose open for business. Visas and invites are there...if no access allowed then like you it'll be Tajik and back. I've not got a Russian visa, it all looked rather samey so I'll try Northern Turkey and back on the TET as I can. My expected China hit date is 1/6/20. Fingers crossed!
Vaccinations will happen in a couple of weeks, the doctors for sure :)
Such a shame this happened now but thus is life...

Hope you don’t get a travel ban

He is allowed to travel but no one will let him in China is closed
Cant go through Italy without doing 14 day quarantine and the same goes everywhere else i suspect

Its a bit of a bastard I was looking forward to his adventure

LAdbrookes were giving 3-1 on agains him dying in a stan

Don’t panic .......the trip is going ahead but not via China.
We now intend to head down overland to Croatia and onwards to Istanbul and onwards to Azerbaijan.... ferry to Turkmenistan....head to Pamir mountains upto Kyrgyzstan then... ??? We will shake the dice again and decide where to go......
We feel there’s less chance of catching anything in the hills......or anything I’m telling you lot about...
Kick off 10th April......

Where did you get those numbers from please, I am also thinking of a trip. Thanks in advance. Option #1 appeals to me as you never know what may happen to the bike...

Trip postponed to 2021 due to corona.....
first it was China that blocked us then Italy so we rerouted through Croatia ... then Turkmenistan stopped issue of transit visa so we decided to go via Kazakhstan and now the kazaks have shut the border.......sadly there comes a time when the head has to rule the heart....... hopefully 2021 will be a better year and the pound will also have recovered....

first it was China that blocked us then Italy so we rerouted through Croatia ... then Turkmenistan stopped issue of transit visa so we decided to go via Kazakhstan and now the kazaks have shut the border.......sadly there comes a time when the head has to rule the heart....... hopefully 2021 will be a better year and the pound will also have recovered....

Feel for ya John :comfort

Bier or several sometime soon :beerjug:

Pretty much the same for me John, waiting till the first week April but expect NOT to leave. I'll be reapplying for visas to go September...I can't wait till next year, mentally I am so up for this...:(

Pretty much the same for me John, waiting till the first week April but expect NOT to leave. I'll be reapplying for visas to go September...I can't wait till next year, mentally I am so up for this...:(
I’m with you on that Jeff.........we decided to hav a couple of weeks in Morocco but now that’s off the menu.......

Hi John, sitting here bored and watching all the sunshine. Should have been in Germany by now :( but hey hoe. September not happening, decided that is NOT the time of year to approach such steep hills in the Stans so April now 2021.
NlPDwZ2H06RLrQX_RhCFl2TaXZBBcDpj5RsG6sTjuNbBctatTI_34T11KELalo_OJGf6jo4tx9V18S18HoW5Y_6xZOPaFl7FIB18KB8ygy10b0-gIb0NyWYlYBVfXxCZ3L8TSC-hY2-yuVhmUtPZViBqyaMCI9bQtc8SUiV-ibl0xsI9ZuPPRyXbYBipC4dAIYBdhRqNyVn03bwFHywxgpFbwPol0rojLztrNSMvDPnT1HEQraO-eV8RGkm9aYAEi4zNcMWAfx9ySIk7JxXEwYWus1q9nyQWUS8W6WID1e2bp7jfpBfvBgiq9lUNF-jRv8X-corEIHOrafLUBWNxZWWWtx9aQQW1PC63zp6cHXYG4NIji3Z-ZrII5SVjowkwEpDvlOM36bfI7M5CoMubLW-8VPVpJJhkxggawqjOYEa4nQQNSdwi56hT9lGjia-wKCeGFmH7wX8cjvCgOgdX5fg5LqT8FSahnCqhDZv1IJBPlqAafAk8q4gFuRqTVHTXrFPIpV_Wq8dJVnVmhH013Nx5d9c0BtxQlKR01Vpzn5MBMJUFWVobgeRdsKa1yY1vtsJudcSMVOY2tkL4cU3FWsGAnmQwoTlxUl-xjCbacOJDMCOgXnt1pTqnSxisBWwDi1zHHqhKW0sa0H-ap8RbRrX4QNIeeGvKMm30sP7j_LcyelAJEbOWhLA=w484-h860-no

This is it, ready to go...

sat here watching the world go by too Jeff........we were talking about late next year but not sure now......i still have a fancy for south america so we'll see.....

sat here watching the world go by too Jeff........we were talking about late next year but not sure now......i still have a fancy for south america so we'll see.....

I would have been heading off to South America for four or five months, about now John .... if I'd not taken the new dawg on ;)

:beerjug:

I would have been heading off to South America for four or five months, about now John .... if I'd not taken the new dawg on ;)

good job ya got the dog Micky ......stick him in camper van when all’s sorted and do it in that.......stay safe pal

good job ya got the dog Micky ......stick him in camper van when all’s sorted and do it in that.......stay safe pal

Cheers John :thumb

Wouldn't take the Camper to South America, but will certainly be away in it up to the Highlands and Islands for a few weeks :D

Back
Top Bottom