Nav V - Won’t connect to Garmin Express via laptop

vRSG60

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Got the (software 3.5 update) email too but now my Nav V won’t connect to Garmin Express FFS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got the email too but now my Nav V won’t connect to Garmin Express FFS

Mine sometimes take a while... leave it longer, re boot... turn the garmin on and off. ;)

Nav V date error - Satellite / Garmin November 2019 glitch NOW MENDED - scroll down

Left it an hour bugger all. New cable bugger all . Device not showing in Windows Explorer either. I’ll try to reboot laptop but it’s that crap it takes an hour before I can do anything on it.

Try here

or in your Nav 5

From the map page press the 3 lines bottom right
Scroll down to Trip Computer
Press and hold the Speed -top centre for at least 5 secs
scroll down to MTP settings
Select "Mass Storage"
Save
Re start and try that.

I had no trouble getting both my Nav 5's to update to the correct date but I had changed that setting ages ago when It wouldn't connect to MapSource.
Do let me know if it works.

Thanks for the help but nothing. I get the connection screen on Nav V but the laptop & PC don’t see it. Tried 4 cables still the same.

Ah well

To put an end to this I’ve decided to take up Garmin’s offer of a replacement refurbished unit for £116. My Nav V has always had intermittent connection problems so this should solve it. Cheaper than chancing a second hand Nav V or upgrading to a Nav VI.

I have a similar issue with my Nav6 on both my Lenovo laptop and my Dell PC but I did manage to work around it so it might not be the same issue. I find that if I connect the Nav6 to the PC it lights up/turns on and starts its boot up and ends up at the screen with the symbol of the USB connection but the PC doesn't recognise it.

If I disconnect it and then reconnect it after a few seconds it then instantly finds it, only visual difference I can see is that the screen showing the USB symbol on the device is slightly dimmer than previously, might be insignificant but it's just an observation.

I've also tried different machines and USB ports/cables and the drivers are properly installed. I've managed to make it work every time though so your issue might be different.

My Nav 5 is the same. It has always been fine at updates but I have tried on and off over the past few days to do the update. All it does now when plugged into the USB and my laptop is charge up.
Same equipment used as always. it does not go into the USB screen when I plug it in it just turns on and charges. Very confusing. Tried lots of other cables with no difference.

My Nav 5 is the same. It has always been fine at updates but I have tried on and off over the past few days to do the update. All it does now when plugged into the USB and my laptop is charge up.
Same equipment used as always. it does not go into the USB screen when I plug it in it just turns on and charges. Very confusing. Tried lots of other cables with no difference.

Same as mine. Anyway it’s gone back to Garmin in exchange for a reconditioned unit.

Just purchased a new HP laptop and installed Garmin Express and Basecamp onto it.

Have found with my Nav 5 that best thing is to connect it to the USB port without switching on either Basecamp or Garmin Express and just wait. After almost exactly 4 minutes it then connects to the computer and Express launches automatically. You can then go into Basecamp and the Nav 5 is connected as well.

Strange but so far works every time ;)

Unplug all other USB devices leaving only the Nav 5 connected :thumb2

Updated software on my Nav 5 yesterday, trying first on the PC which is my usual method (and it installed LM on a zumo 220 a month ago okay) - it couldnt see the Nav5.

Changed to Lenovo Laptop - and it connected and downloaded and installed quickly.

Not had any issue on PC (win7Pro) before.

New to me Nav V arrived less than a week after I sent them my old one. Connects OK now

Mine is sorted now.
I ordered a USB C to micro USB cable from Amazon (Amazon basics cable). Although I have a drawer full of usb to micro usb cables, which I had already tried via an adapter out of my MacBook Pro (which has always worked in the past), When I plugged this new cable into the back of the Nav5 it immediately felt like a better fit.

As it is a USB C at one end I can plug it straight into my laptop and it worked first time! All updates done.

Back
Top Bottom